Brave Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying it out and it's been a week and it's really fast and has adblocker, tracking blocker and script blocking, fingerprinting, and HTTPS Everywhere etc built in, so no need for extensions, etc. It's very customizable in regards to how secure you want to be. At max level it won't even display CNN or YouTube correctly, and I think I have found a balanced level between practicality and security after tweaking its settings a bit. It keeps track of how many ads, trackers, number of HTTPS upgrades it blocked while loading and using a site on a real time basis, and also overall in re: to web usage. It also displays the time it takes to load a site on the URL bar. (BITOG main forum page took 0.35 seconds...)

It loads pages (even very busy sites) way faster than any browser I've ever used, way faster than FF and even faster than Chrome. It doesn't yet have a lot great tab mix like options, but has tabs that are as good as chrome, IMO.
It's not "polished" looking like some other browsers but if you're looking for a very fast and very safe browser with a LOT of security features already built-in, it's a very good browser to use, in my experience. Doesn't hog CPU and RAM like FF does.

If anyone's interested I can try to post some screenshots of my settings, as soon as I find an alternative to photobucket
smirk.gif

Some good info:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/faster-safer-non-google-web-browser/

Brave home site:
https://www.brave.com/

It, like Opera and Chrome, is based on Chromium.

I like their approach, but it will be interesting to see how financially viable a browser that blocks advertising is going to be long-term.

I use Chrome plus a lot of extensions on my computers, but Brave on my phone as you can't load the same extensions there. It's great. For folks not willing or knowledgeable enough to load all the "good" stuff, it is probably a fantastic browser on the desktop.

I have been testing it on an Android device.. and it needs some work.

But the desktop client works great.

The guy who is running the project, Brendan Eich, gets my support.

It doesn't originate out of China like Maxthon browser, think I will give it a try. Like everything about Maxthon except it's origin adds an potential perception of backdoor security shadyness. Brave looks better.

Okaaaaaay. Nevermind on that. Slower than [censored]. Doesn't leave any desktop launch icon nor make an entry in the programs list that I can find. Back to Chrome
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Any more updates?
Curious about trying it after all y'all "guinea pigs" give it a shot!

I've used it, briefly. It's interesting to use when you go to certain "news" sites. Other browsers show their sponsored or paid linked news sites that don't appear with Brave.
My daughter has a computer science degree and she hadn't heard of it yet. She is now in the process of checking it out.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
It doesn't originate out of China like Maxthon browser, think I will give it a try. Like everything about Maxthon except it's origin adds an potential perception of backdoor security shadyness. Brave looks better.

Brave is open source so it doesn't really matter what country the lead developer lives in.

I just took a second look at it - I used a beta version a long time ago and was unimpressed - and I **love** the "Shields Panel" which shows at a glance, intuitively, what is being blocked and what can be adjusted. I also really like that HTTPS Everywhere is built in.

It loads pages faster than Chrome? I have to try it. I will report back the results as soon as I find the time to test it
smile.gif
But I have to say I am a little bit skeptical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back