In Dash Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of my fellow BITOG'ers run a dash cam in their vehicles?

I'm not looking of an aftermarket back up camera.

I'm looking for video recording (possibly audio as well) at least out the windshield of my car.
I'd consider the option to record the rear and even have a recorder pointed towards the driver's window.

I see dash cams are super popular in parts of Europe and Russia. I'm wanting to capture any accidents or incidents that I may encounter, including anyone approaching the driver's door.

I have two spytec A118-Cs. I think there is at least one or two updated models from that one now. I like the "C" model because it uses a capacitor instead of a battery. Have had one of them for around 3 years now.
https://www.amazon.com/A118-C-Capacitor-G-Sensor-Records-Recording/dp/B00SK8B47W

There are certainly higher quality ones out there. I got one after a 96 year old ran a red light at full speed and hit me. He claimed the light was yellow. Of course there were witnesses but a dash cam would have proved my light was green. Its pretty cheap insurance I think everyone should have one.

I posted some time back a dash cam review which I thought was a great idea, especially for accidents and other things like road rage attacks, but it was not well received and got little attention...I don't know why folks were opposed to it.

The good news is,cutting open oil filters gets pages of reviews...go figure.

Last edited:
https://dashcamtalk.com/

Seems to be a decent site. Their info jives with what most consider to be correct.

The A-118C is a great camera for the price. I got my first dash cam in 2011 and have been through about 7 of them in our 3 cars. So far the G1W and the Mini 0805 w GPS have been my favorites (have 2 of those). Buy from a reputable dealer. The sheer number of knockoffs has fallen a lot but they are still out there.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I have two spytec A118-Cs. I think there is at least one or two updated models from that one now. I like the "C" model because it uses a capacitor instead of a battery. Have had one of them for around 3 years now.
https://www.amazon.com/A118-C-Capacitor-G-Sensor-Records-Recording/dp/B00SK8B47W.

I have the same one, so compact no one can see it behind the rear view mirror. Add a 32g card and you’re good.

Since I live in a neighborhood with a ton of high-end cars and their owners (primarily MDs and lawyers) think that they own the road, I have had a couple of close calls. Since then I installed dashcams on both the cars.

Subaru has Street Guardian SGZC12SS and Ausdom A261, and Nissan has Rexing F9

I don't have major complaints with either of these, but if I have to buy again, I would buy small form factor dashcam or will stick to Ausdom A261.

DashcamTalk is a great forum for the discussion. I would refrain buying non-branded dashcam. Rexing is a good company (CT-based). When I had some problem with F9, primarily firmware issue. They sent a replacement with just one email. We went back and forth a few times with the dashcams to figure out the problem and resolution. Finally, they couldn't really fix it but I liked their proactive attitude in trying to fix the issue.

Last edited:
I bought a little cheapie suction-cup dashcam a while back for $20 after reading about, and seeing videos of, so many scammers, distracted drivers, elderly drivers etc.. and also after seeing so many idiots on my daily drive to work. I drive 110+ miles/day, so any protection I can get is good.

I purchased one of these:

2i9ryo0.jpg

Sure, it's pretty basic, and sure it's somewhat conspicuous, but for $20, I feel it was worth it.

When it does ultimately break/wear out, I plan to buy either an A118-C or an A119. Everything I hear about those is good.

$20 is within what I would pay for a dash cam.
Aren't you guys worried about sc*m breaking into your car because of a dash cam? Perhaps you remove them when parked? (kind of a hassle)

A great idea to have one. The idiotic way people are driving these days, the footage can be used to prove guilt in an accident. Time/date display would be needed for court.

Last edited:
In the market for one currently. I made a thread a few posts down.

Definitely don't want something that sticks onto the window (illegal) nor do I want something blatantly obvious (theft).

Also, front and rear recording is a must.

Last edited:
They make ones that go over the rear view mirror and sort of extend it, so the camera is hidden.

This would be useful in situations where state law does not allow radar detectors or items affixed to the windshield.

Dash cam could be mistaken for a radar detector.

In my 20 years of driving I have never needed a dash cam, however in the past year two of my coworkers purchased them, so there must be a need.

I have the same one as SirTanon, he posted a link to it this past summer and I bought it. Works great! Have no complaints at all. Turns on and off with the ignition, video looks good, can't ask for anything more.

And this is in 120 degree direct sunlight Phoenix heat. Suction cup sticks well too.

On a road trip a couple weeks ago I had 2 close calls that the Dashcam would have shown I wouldn't have been at fault. And last week going home at night a guy almost clipped my front right corner, he was less that a foot away.

https://www.amazon.com/cam-New-Camera-2-...;ref_=yo_ii_img

I've had a Rexing V1p for almost a year. I like the wedge shape/size as it allowed me to mount it so it's nearly completely hidden from view (from the driver's seat). I still haven't gotten around to mounting the rear camera. The settings are easy to adjust and the video quality is good. The mounting pad secures the camera well while still being able to slide it off to remove it. It's also easy to manually lock video clip events.

Those raising questions regarding theft, not too sure of the neighborhood you live in or visit, but I have never read of this problem on dashcamtalk boards. I touch the dashcam only when an incident occurs that I want to keep a copy of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back