Looking at some used trucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after this towing experience of motorcycle, I am thinking to bite a bullet on a truck.

Just testing the water to see what's out there and all.

Have looked at a few options:

1- 1997 S10, per owner (has a lot of new parts,and runs perfect. 4cyl, 5spd, reg cab, 2x4. New radiator, plugs,wires,coils,brakes, and more with 222k miles).

2- 2002 Ford F-150 with 175k miles - not really wanting it, but still sharing.

3-2000 Chevrolet Silverado with 122k miles

4-2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 with 179k

Any thoughts, which one should I go and check out and which one should I just drop from above list? Also, any known trouble spots on any of the above ones and what to look/check? Definitely new to 'truck' world.

Thanks for the help
thumbsup2.gif

S10's are low-end garbage. Go for any of the full size options or the Tacoma.

The 2000 Silverado sounds good, and would be the nicest riding of the bunch. If the automatic transmission is original, it may be on borrowed time.

Tacoma - check for rust on the frame. Otherwise, they are very reliable. V6 or 4 cylinder?

Originally Posted By: drtyler

The 2000 Silverado sounds good, and would be the nicest riding of the bunch. If the automatic transmission is original, it may be on borrowed time.

Tacoma - check for rust on the frame. Otherwise, they are very reliable. V6 or 4 cylinder?

Thanks, Tacoms is 4 Cyl, but still on it's original Timing Belt and water pump.

Silverado is automatic and has rust spots on the body, no holes or anything, but it's there!

Find something with lower mileage unless you just want a beater. Unless these vehicles were meticulously maintained, they will probably have a ton of problems you will find once you buy them.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Find something with lower mileage unless you just want a beater. Unless these vehicles were meticulously maintained, they will probably have a ton of problems you will find once you buy them.

You are definitely right and have a valid point.

I am not looking for a daily commuter though, so a beater should be fine.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
From those choices, I would get the Silverado

Silverado has Vortec motor in it :2000 Chevy Silverado LT. 5.3 liter V8 with AT.

Does anyone else has any feedback about this specific model and transmission? Also, any problematic spots?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Silverado is automatic and has rust spots on the body, no holes or anything, but it's there!

Depending on whether it's a 2wd or 4wd it will have a 2RZ-FE (2.4 liter) or 3RZ-FE (2.7 liter) engine. Both have chain cam drive.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Depending on whether it's a 2wd or 4wd it will have a 2RZ-FE (2.4 liter) or 3RZ-FE (2.7 liter) engine. Both have chain cam drive.

Thanks, 2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5:
-Xtra/Access Cab
-Two Door
-I4 Engine, 5 Speed Standard/Manual Transmission
-RWD

If it has timing chain, then that's awesome!!!

That tacoma has a chain not a belt as stated above. No worries there. That is the option I would go for assuming the frame is not rusted badly. These also hold value really well so in like 5 years you can probably still sell it for what you buy it for now.

Are you putting the motorcycle in the back of the truck? Or pulling a motorcycle trailer?

If pulling a motorcycle trailer you could broaden what you're looking for and find a small SUV

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Are you putting the motorcycle in the back of the truck? Or pulling a motorcycle trailer?

If pulling a motorcycle trailer you could broaden what you're looking for and find a small SUV

Thanks, planning to put on the bed. Otherwise, I'll just buy a trailer and hitch for the car.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Thanks, planning to put on the bed. Otherwise, I'll just buy a trailer and hitch for the car.

I think I'd prefer a trailer as its lower to the ground and you could get one with a full width ramp. I can see loading my dirtbike onto a pickup with a narrow ramp, but I wouldn't want to load up a heavy street bike that way. Then how do you back it down?
Low wide utility trailer would be my choice, full width ramp and perhaps even tilting if I was fooling around with very heavy bike. Some you can even drive off the front at an angle.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Thanks, 2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5:
-Xtra/Access Cab
-Two Door
-I4 Engine, 5 Speed Standard/Manual Transmission
-RWD

If it has timing chain, then that's awesome!!!

4 cyl / manual Tacoma? Go for that one! It will run forever. As long as you don't need a lot of space or a ton of towing capacity.

The 2002 Ford F150 probably has the 4.6 which runs forever.
They aren't a glamorous truck but they are a tough, reliable truck and cheap to repair.
The Chevies we had at work literally fall apart and have tons of issues.
The Fords although nothing special just run forever.

Don't forger to ask your insurance company what the insurance will cost on these.

My 284,000 mile Ford Ranger has been reliable, and insurance has ALWAYS been dirt, dirt cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back