No-Spill Gasoline Container Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
The container has no vent; so - when the temperature is warm during the day, the gasoline vapors push the plastic walls outward which is fine. The trouble is, when the temperature drops, the plastic walls get sucked in, crushing the container and putting a terrible strain on the plastic. The next day when the sun comes out, the container "re-inflates." I could loosen the cap to let it vent, but then I'll have some gasoline with very expensive synthetic 2-cycle oil getting evaporated. Is there a solution other than keeping the container inside the house where the temperatures are more stable ?

NoSpill-2-5-Gallon.jpg

MerK; I'd suggest u vent it slightly..it won't loose enuf to be noticeable. Sit it as far away from water heater as possible. Try it for few days and see how it goes.

I live near you and had no issues with my no-spills even during the 115F heat we had this summer. I've only seen them expand and contract if they are in the direct sun and in the bed of my black truck. Even just setting a scrap of plywood over them has kept mine stable if I had to leave them outside. Are you having these issues in direct sun or just from a temperature change?

It's tough plastic. It can withstand the flexing. Shading the can from direct sunlight will help.

Unburned gasoline vapor released into the air is a major cause of smog. This is the reason for sealed cans.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Are you having these issues in direct sun or just from a temperature change?

Just from the temperature change - but I'll sit the container in a spot the night before where I know it'll get direct sunlight the next morning so that it'll expand and re-inflate.

Same problem in Texas.

I have added a very tiny vent to all of mine.
Otherwise, the plastic flexes too much and cracks.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I bought an aftermarket vent which takes care of the problem. you do have to drill. Amazon has them.

Do you leave the vent open all the time ? You're not worried about moisture getting in ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back