Selling stuff on Craigslist vs Letgo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think there's anyway to determine the quality of people you will encounter anywhere. It's all a big roll of the dice. I seem to encounter certain types of people when dealing with specific items. I've met some weirdos dealing with computers, but when buying or selling home items I generally run into "average" people.

All the free to play swap and sell sites are rife with scamsters; veritable cesspools of fraud, I'd estimate one is about the same as the other. Being newer, Letgo might not be as ate up yet.

Ive found CL to be much easier and straightforward. Tried let go, and though free stuff goes well, the other stuff always got low balls and unresponsive people in the other end.

I see a lot of phishing on CL car ads. Easy to spot most of the time. Big banner with a email and only one picture and stupid statements with a to good to be true price. Someone just got a big # poster down today:)

I feel like you're equally likely to get a flake or weird buyer/seller on either but CL is just more mainstream, so that's my pick.

I like CL, I have them reply by email. If it's clear and coherent, I reply. If it's not, I hit delete.

Be realistic about your price.

Seriously.

I was looking for a used washer for my sister and there are a jillion people with old top load washers wanting too much money for them. Lots of old ads indicating many of them never get sold, yet they won't take $75 for a 10 year top loader that they eventually give to someone they know, donate or throw to the curb anyhow. Download an app on your smartphone such as Text Free" and have them call or text that number. Give them the number after they reply by email if they seem serious.

I recently got lucky with facebook buy 'n sell. Perhaps using your real name makes you more honest.

All I wanted were some junky 15" steel snow tire wheels but CL wanted $50 a pop.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I recently got lucky with facebook buy 'n sell. Perhaps using your real name makes you more honest.

All I wanted were some junky 15" steel snow tire wheels but CL wanted $50 a pop.

It does we have a local town group and I feel way more comfortable on it. I also can peek into background of folks. I don't even bother dealing with certain folks profiles.

I've sold a bunch of ATVs on Craigslist. You get some pains.
Alot of people want to trade you canoes, kayaks, lawnmowers, guns, jewery etc.. then you have no shows. Really can't complain though it's easy and it's free to sell stuff.
Buying stuff on there is harder because old people get all paranoid. If you are that scared to sell stuff then go to eBay. Met some cool people and probably had well over 50 transactions.
You hear about some bad experiences but there are thousands of smooth transactions.

Just sold my son's 2007 Volvo S80 using CL. I had only one serious offer but it was a fair one.
Previously, I've sold four cars on CL over the years with little complaint.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Be realistic about your price.

Seriously.

This. There will be annoying people everywhere you go, but also remember that Craigslist is more popular, so your ads will get more views.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Just sold my son's 2007 Volvo S80 using CL. I had only one serious offer but it was a fair one.
Previously, I've sold four cars on CL over the years with little complaint.

I should note that I always started my pricing using KBB's Private Party sale ranges. Seems to work very well for me.

If I was the leader of the free world, I would employee secret police to go around beating up craigslist buyers who flake, and eliminating the scammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back