I Need a Bigger Vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lifestyle changes have made the Focus DD a bit uncomfortable. It has been doing good enough with the abuse I give it (towing camper and utility trailer). Good Dd, good gas mileage ... not a huge fan of the suspension rattle I can't get rid of. It's getting too small for trips to the dog park or any trips with the dog. And longer camping trips are quite crowded with all the extra gear. I do plan on getting a small kayak but that wont work with focus as small as it is.

Ideally , I'd be looking for a stock xj Cherokee with working ac and no rust. But those are stupid expensive.

Was thinking about a new Forester 6 speed but I don't want payments. The focus isnt worth anything - it's a 2011 with 79k miles. And rust is starting.

If I go used, it will be 10+ years. Anything used under that age is almost as expensive as new. Also used means I can keep the focus and split Dd duty. The F350 is a single cab so great for house work or toeing my Cherokee. The Cherokee is showing its age from the constant abuse I give it.

So,suggest me a wagon/crossover thing!

Sooo... my criteria:
NO PDU AWD systems ... I have no problem with fwd, rwd or subaru
Nothing German
Manual transmission preferred
No CVTS
Comfortable towing of 2000 pounds.

A Forester would be ideal but it seems older Subarus are hit or miss. Not a fan of Grand Cherokes so that is out.

"I don't have nice things for a reason."

grin.gif

Nothing German?

My wife is German and not very happy when I read your post aloud.

Honda CRV?
Toyota Sienna?
There are many vehicles that would fit your needs.

Focus wagon? Comfortable 2k towing is probably a bit of a stretch, but I've done 1200lb without a problem. The big trunk and roof racks you can reach are useful too. The CRV is handy as well with the rear window that opens, I put 12'+ boards on the dash and out the back if its only a few and I don't want to mess with bungies while standing on tires and door frames. The CRV will drag around 2k no problem, but the Focus will cost half as much to buy. Between my two, the drivetrains haven't had an issue, just suspension and brakes, and exhaust on the CRV. I like driving the Focus more and your existing snow tires will fit! Also its not too bad at autocross if you slap some decent summer rubber on it.
The 2wd little SUV's would be pretty cheap too, you can even get a manual 2wd Escape which I imagine would be nearly as cheap as a Focus.

Ford Flex 2wd would fit the bill. Plenty of room for the dogs, camping stuff, and will tow 3k or so with the regular 3.5. Would make a nice DD too.
An older Escape FWD would also fit the bill.

Pick a Wagon - an older Volvo would also be a solid choice.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I have a very strong hate of lugbolts. That''s the driving factor there.
That might be the stupidest reason I have ever heard for someone to not buy a car. Almost as bad as a random CRV owner who just bought the car drove 50 miles and say his seat is uncomfortable and wishes he never bought it. Those CRVs have some nice seats for people who have never say in them.

Your preferences removes a lot of good vehicles off the list unfortunately. Because of your towing requirement, I think a Toyota Venza is the ideal vacation vehicle for you.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
PDU?

How about a Chevy Tracker or Suzuki Vitara/Sidekick?
smile.gif

If you never need the back seats and keep them folded down they aren't too bad. We had an 03 but once we had a kid we got the wagon, which holds almost twice as much in the back as the Tracker. The XL7 was a stretch Grand Vitara but only came with a V6 which sucks a lot of gas and is a bit complicated. The early ones had timing chain issues but had manuals available, the later ones 04-06 had a better engine but no manual. The 5spd auto I believe is a toyota trans and the same one as the 4runner, but maybe do some research to confirm if that's going to be a deciding factor.

I would highly recommend a toyota sienna. Pretty decent gas mileage, great for towing up to 3500lbs, and in the XLE limited trim they are EXTREMELY comfortable. Most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned.

I would also say that a prius and Prius V fit your bill for the most part...I find the newer ones (2010+) quite comfortable and obviously the gas mileage is amazing. I have read about plenty of people installing tow hitches and towing things around 2k lbs. I wouldn't hesitate to use one for your needs....also a hatch makes healing dogs and stuff pretty easy. We have a German Shepard and he fits just fine with him and baby.

Sienna since you clamped yourself down with large dogs and you want tow capacity.

They are so comfortable and relatively well made. Nothing to impress anyone though.

Since I know you're frugal, a 2015+ Sonata. They're good cars, good mpg, extremely comfortable and way more room than anything else. At least give one a test drive.

Here's a 2016 for $9,980, 36k miles so 24k miles left of powertrain warranty.

LINK

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Since I know you're frugal, a 2015+ Sonata. They're good cars, good mpg, extremely comfortable and way more room than anything else. At least give one a test drive.

LINK

What? Wow that's cheap.....

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

LINK

If he were frugal he would not be taking a bath selling a worthless in used market car with plenty of life. Sonata is not going to solve any issues listed as it is a slightly larger vehicle nothing else.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
Older jeep liberty.

Not A bad idea; girlfriend has one from 2008 still running strong at 125k miles.
It'll tow 5000 pounds.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: hemitruck
Older jeep liberty.

.. 2008 still running strong at 125k miles....

That's a pretty low bar, half the guys here think that's just getting broken in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back