2008 CR-V, Which Oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Hpnds CR-V with about 138k on the odometer. Has had a steady diet of mainly M1 EP 5w-20 and a couple changes of Castrol Syntec with Titanium. I have followed the maintenance minder the whole life and it always comes on between 9,800 and 10,300 miles. Usually add between 1/2 quart and 1 quart in that 10k mile oil change. Think this vehicle would benefit from a high mileage oil or should I just stick with the M1 EP?

It really depends on if the engine is leaking or burning the oil. If leaking, where does it leak from? If burning, HM oil will make no difference.

I think that staying with the Mobil 1 extended performance could be fine. Like PimTac said questions are is it burning oil or leaking it?? Also do you drive short trips mostly or mostly highway miles or a combination of both. If it is burning oil then maybe going up to Mobil 1 extended Performance 5w30 maybe a good idea. Wouldn't lose hardly any gas mileage.

There are not any visible leaks around the outside of the engine, the concrete driveway or my carport. I guess the engine is consuming oil but my thoughts are 1/2 quart every 5k is not bad at all. I had thought about trying a 5w-30 or possibly the M1 AFE 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
There are not any visible leaks around the outside of the engine, the concrete driveway or my carport. I guess the engine is consuming oil but my thoughts are 1/2 quart every 5k is not bad at all. I had thought about trying a 5w-30 or possibly the M1 AFE 0w-30.

Have you ever checked your PCV valve?

Or is the dealership supposed to be doing that? The reason I ask is I just changed over to QSUD 5w-30 and in the first 421 miles the oil dropped 4 Oz. I check my PCV man it was unbelievably grimy. The car had just been in for service 8K earlier so I changed it out. Now 600 miles later the oil has had no more perceptible drop. Usually my oil drop for a whole OCI is about 4 Oz.

Last edited:
Going up a grade may help cut down your consumption rate and the K24 won't mind it one bit, no ill effects. HM oil you will get plenty of answers for and against. You can always try HM oil for an OCI and see if it makes a difference. Might help answer your own question.

Low level of burn. The engine will last indefinitely. Just stay with the 5w-20 EP.

I experience the same in my '08 CRV now that I've rolled up to 250 K miles. Previously I'd replace the PCV and get 75-100k before I saw a drop on the dipstick in the same 10k OCI you see. I replaced it last at 225k and it helped for 2 OCI's or so but now the level drops 1/2-3/4 qt, at this point I'll just deal with it and replace the PCV again just past 300k to say I did it.

At 250k or beyond if the K24 uses a little oil within its ~10k OCI, I'm ok with that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Balrog006
I experience the same in my '08 CRV now that I've rolled up to 250 K miles. Previously I'd replace the PCV and get 75-100k before I saw a drop on the dipstick in the same 10k OCI you see. I replaced it last at 225k and it helped for 2 OCI's or so but now the level drops 1/2-3/4 qt, at this point I'll just deal with it and replace the PCV again just past 300k to say I did it.

At 250k or beyond if the K24 uses a little oil within its ~10k OCI, I'm ok with that.

Off topic have you ever done a valve adjustment on your K24?

Just changed the oil in the CR-V this afternoon and decided to stick with M1 EP 5w-20. I'm going to take a look at the PCV valve this weekend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: Balrog006

Off topic have you ever done a valve adjustment on your K24?

No, I'm not that much of a DIY'er and not sure at this point it would be worth doing...

Originally Posted By: klt1986
Just changed the oil in the CR-V this afternoon and decided to stick with M1 EP 5w-20. I'm going to take a look at the PCV valve this weekend.

Buy a genuine Honda part, aftermarket ones are cheap and prone to failure.

It's a ~5 minute job from opening the part bag to closing the hood-done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back