oil age

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1997 Jaguar XK8 that I drive very seldom. I last changed the oil (Pennzoil Platinum 5-30w and a Bosch filter) on 7/24/2012. Since that time I have accrued about 2000 miles. Jaguar calls for oil changes every 10,000 miles. In the past two years I have put less than 200 miles on the car. The oil looks, feels, and smells clean, and I never get any unusual noises or symptoms of anything amiss when I start and run or drive it. I always run the engine to full temperature to burn off any moisture. THAT SAID, I am thinking about putting a new set of tires on and doing some medium length trips (200-500 miles). Should I change the 8 quarts and filter, or just cruise along as it has been???

Last edited:
I'd change it even though it looks good. It's been over 5 years in the car.

To much water and fuel dilution, get it out of there! Im sure the manual says to go by time or miles!

Last edited:
Spend some $$$ and run a used oil analysis and see how the oil is holding up. Or for the same price change the oil and filter. Does the recommendation actually say 10,000 miles or X amount of time?

I think every vehicle manufacturer has a mileage and time limit on oil changes ... 1 year is usually the longest specification I've seen for time. It's certainly not 5+ years.

Here's a UOA from a guy who left his oil in for 5 years+ but low mileage, might be an interesting read for you....https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4190879/1992_Surburban_Big_Block_-_M1_

My two cents worth is that the best thing you could do is take an oil sample and have it analysed. Let the results decide if you think you need to change oil...What you're really doing with the UOA instead of changing oil is learning and setting precedent. Do whatever lets you sleep peaceably....But my vote is to learn something. And if you REALLY want to learn, send in a virgin sample of unused oil for comparison, and post both results here.

Maybe you can teach some other folks something.
12.gif

Are the oils of today superior to the technologies of 5 years ago?
Maybe its worth changing for that reason alone.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
My two cents worth is that the best thing you could do is take an oil sample and have it analysed. Let the results decide if you think you need to change oil...What you're really doing with the UOA instead of changing oil is learning and setting precedent. Do whatever lets you sleep peaceably....But my vote is to learn something.

And if you send a sample for analysis give it a good run on the highway first (30 or more miles) which you should do once in a while anyway.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

MY SWAG would be that they aren't.
Not that much changes in the API/ILSAC world of standards, but then not that much has changed in engines over the past five years.
DI and little turbo motors pumped up to larger displacement power and torque levels were certainly around five years ago.

No, they're not. I will substantiate my statement by referencing oilspecifications.org and noting that the current spec in use is API category SN (Introduced in October 2010): http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) verifies this by stating "current API SN/ILSAC GF-5 service category" in an article on their website dated July 10, 2017. http://www.pqiamerica.com/ (Scroll down the page a little and read about the "dollar general" oil). Different subject; but category SN is current unless something has happened between July 10, 2017 and today.

Of course, I can't promise you what may happen tomorrow...

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

No, they're not. I will substantiate my statement by referencing oilspecifications.org and noting that the current spec in use is API category SN (Introduced in October 2010): http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) verifies this by stating "current API SN/ILSAC GF-5 service category" in an article on their website dated July 10, 2017. http://www.pqiamerica.com/ (Sccroll down the page a little and read about the "dollar general" oil. Different subject; but category SN is current unless something has happened between July 10, 2017 and today.

Of course, I can't promise you what may happen tomorrow...

Thanks for the thorough response.
Much appreciated.

I would change the oil and I'd also start using the car.
You have it, it isn't gaining any value while it sits, so you may as well enjoy this cat.
A car is a terrible thing to waste:)

My last OCI was 3 years with PUP 5w30 with Amsoil EAO filter. I have learned on these forums, is that your vehicle does not know how old the oil is. I would hesitate running a paper oil filter for more than a year. But, if you have synthetic oil/filter you are good to go. Five years seem adequate to me.

Good luck!

Respectfully,

Pajero

The oil is probably fine and if you were continuing its current use pattern I would leave it in.

Since you're planning on changing the vehicle's use pattern and putting new tires on because of it, it would personally give me the warm and fuzzies to have fresh fluids to go along with the new tires and renewed interest in driving the car.

Why don't you suck some oil out and have a UOA test. That way you won't be guessing. I suspect it will still be good oil at 5 years but, a UOA will yield the results with data. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back