Hard time bleeding rear brakes - Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks:

I'm having tough time bleeding my rear brakes.

The rear bleeders are different than the front. The rears take a 10mm wrench (8mm in front) - but the clear tube that fits on the front won't seal on the back. I even tried a zip tie to tighten it up, and using a 5/32nd vacuum hose. Really made a mess.

I have the attachments from a cheap vacuum kit, and I can't get the plastic attachments to seal on the bleeders either.

Any advice here would be appreciated. I'm on attempt number three and getting tired of taking the wheels off.

Do you have a second person to help? If so, just do it the old fashioned way. UP! DOWN! repeat...

If you don't have any help, you can crack open the bleeders and let it sit while gravity takes care of it for you.

I guess I must admit to being a Red Neck . I have bleed brakes since about the 70's . Never used the rubber hose .

When you get through , just clean up properly .

Be sure to close off the bleeder valve completely , before your partner raises their foot from the brake petal , otherwise , it will suck air back into the system .

Best of luck , :)

Originally Posted By: cpayne5

If you don't have any help, you can crack open the bleeders and let it sit while gravity takes care of it for you.

Yeah, I'd let it gravity bleed. Even with one other person pressing down on the brake pedal can often cause Master Cylinder piston scoring on the inside of the bore. I have even used the 2 oz syringe and pulled the fluid that way.

Originally Posted By: dubber09
I use clear fish tank air line to do this. There is video on YouTube by ChrisFix on how to do it by self.

that's exactly how I made mine. the problem is I can't get the tubing to seal over the bleeder screw. (the rear is a different size) works fine on the front, but not the back. even the attachments from the vacuum bleeder don't work.

it's turning into an erector set - I have three tube sizes....

I like the gravity bleed idea, but it makes a mess. I'm trying to keep the fluid off the driveway. Do you just crack the bleeder and let it drip into a pail?

Originally Posted By: Chester11
Do you just crack the bleeder and let it drip into a pail?

Yep, just let it dribble out.

Last edited:
speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

Yes they are. Plus I use those little bleeder cups with the fittings that fit on pretty much any size bleeder.

Throw some cheap ( dollar store ) kitty litter on spills .

Or use a water hose , brake fluid seems to be at least partially water soluble .

Or soap and water .

Best wishes , :)

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Throw some cheap ( dollar store ) kitty litter on spills .

Or use a water hose , brake fluid seems to be at least partially water soluble .

Or soap and water .

Best wishes , :)

Driveway looks like a cat box with all the fluid I spilled. I half expect to see a herd of cats around the car.....

Stuff an ice scraper (or similar 20 inch long stick) between your seat cushion and brake pedal. Adjust the seat for proper tension. Then go around back and get squirted in the face. One man brake bleed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back