Should I be running high mileage oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys! i know this has been discussed a million times, but never know what if our gm engines LOVE a specific type of oil.

So my truck is an 2007 escalade with a l92 vortec 6200 6.2L, on the original engine with 330,000 km's on it.

In the past it was always on Mobil 1 synthetic from the dealership, at 290k i started using amsoil for a couple changes, then royal purple for a couple, and now ive been running pennzoil ultra platinum. I heard the ultra platinum had the best protection from forums and stuff. There was some psi protection thing and Ultra Platinum had the best protection; The main problem with my engine is noisy lifters so im hoping an oil could silence that maybe, also winter is coming soon and temperatures could hit -35 celcius. I am going to be getting my oil changed soon, and i wanna try castrol edge extended performance since i havent tried it in this engine yet. With all the oils, I felt that the lifter noise was the same so maybe that will never get fixed but whatever. I guess i want the best oil for the cold winter coming up soon. Also I barely ever do any highway miles tho. its basically 90 percent driven short distances which is worse.

So since I haven't tried Castrol yet, I want to try the CASTROL EDGE EXTENDED PERFORMANCE but since my engine has alot of kilometers on it, i see they have a high mileage oil as well. CASTROL EDGE HIGH MILEAGE. Should I be running the high mileagle or it doesnt matter? ive never ran a high mileage oil before but i heard that they are usually of lower quality

yeah its not! its never burned oil in its life. only time it did was with Royal Purple XPR but that stuff is meant for racing and stuff lol.

welcome2.gif

Any good 5w30 will be fine for the OCI suggested by your OLM
smile.gif

Use HM oil only when your rear main seal leaks. For other leaks fix the seal/gasket.

Go back to Mobil 1. If it still has lifter noise, turn up radio or replace the lifters, maybe they are worn. You engine will not last forever with only oil changes. It needs some maint at this mileage.

Agree, if no consumption there is no need for HM oil. In Canada, for the winter, I would personally run a 0W20 or 0W30 oil for those cold starts.

High Mileage oil will deliver more seal conditioners to old seals. Its preventative. Its to keep future leaks from developing. .... Old is old. A little extra seal conditioner could help, and won't hurt. It won't swell them out of shape since the oil makers know the difference between conditioning brittle old seals vs. swelling them. All the SN or dexos1 seal swelling tests still pass just fine, so its conditioning that happens.

No need for HM oil.

-35? Buy Mobil 1 0w30. I'll even be running it here in the desert, because I bought it on clearance.

I agree with keeping your original Mobil 1 diet. With that, it won't hurt to go Mobil 1 High Mileage. It has a litte more detergents as well as a little seal conditioner (not a seal sweller) and that's a good thing. My vote is Mobil 1 High Mileage either 5w/30 or 10w/30.

original spec is 5w30. you might try a thicker oil like 0W-40 to see if that quiets things down a little. Tolerances are looser now so a thicker oil will build a thicker film and maybe make less noise.

I've seen it over and over. Want a quick try without committing to a full OCI, at the end of an OCI, try STP and see if the engine noise gets lower. STP only thickens the oil no magic.

High mileage oils have never really gained much traction in the Australian market place, in fact, outside of valvoline, I'm not sure anyone actually markets one here at all? As others have stated, if it's getting a little noisier, a step up to a 40 or even 50W oil can help pick up the slack.

And as others have mentioned, if a seal / gasket is leaking. simply replace it if you can. That's always the best course of action.

Regards
Jordan

Your noise is probably from carbon on the pistons. Pour some Sea Foam in your oil and go out and drive it hard on the highway. Leave it out of over drive. Come home and clean the throttle body with cleaner. Change the oil. I would use M1 HM 5W30.

Originally Posted By: apollo18
hey guys! i know this has been discussed a million times, but never know what if our gm engines LOVE a specific type of oil.

So my truck is an 2007 escalade with a l92 vortec 6200 6.2L, on the original engine with 330,000 km's on it.

In the past it was always on Mobil 1 synthetic from the dealership, at 290k i started using amsoil for a couple changes, then royal purple for a couple, and now ive been running pennzoil ultra platinum. I heard the ultra platinum had the best protection from forums and stuff. There was some psi protection thing and Ultra Platinum had the best protection; The main problem with my engine is noisy lifters so im hoping an oil could silence that maybe, also winter is coming soon and temperatures could hit -35 celcius. I am going to be getting my oil changed soon, and i wanna try castrol edge extended performance since i havent tried it in this engine yet. With all the oils, I felt that the lifter noise was the same so maybe that will never get fixed but whatever. I guess i want the best oil for the cold winter coming up soon. Also I barely ever do any highway miles tho. its basically 90 percent driven short distances which is worse.

So since I haven't tried Castrol yet, I want to try the CASTROL EDGE EXTENDED PERFORMANCE but since my engine has alot of kilometers on it, i see they have a high mileage oil as well. CASTROL EDGE HIGH MILEAGE. Should I be running the high mileagle or it doesnt matter? ive never ran a high mileage oil before but i heard that they are usually of lower quality

Most people use the suggested oil the manufacturer recommends for a new engine under warranty. When the warranty is up, there are no rules that state you can't use HM oil in your engine. I know A LOT of people that fall into this category. So, go forth and use all of the HM oil your heart desires!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Spector
Agree, if no consumption there is no need for HM oil. In Canada, for the winter, I would personally run a 0W20 or 0W30 oil for those cold starts.

+1....no need for a HM oil unless there is leakage. A 0w20 or 0w30 should do the trick for Canadian winter driving.

Looked up your trucks spec. It calls for 5W30. Go ahead and run the Castrol Edge 5W30 EP. It’s a [censored] good oil for cold winter performance and extended use(15k).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back