Use conventional oil, but top off with synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an advantage to using synthetic to top off conventional oil as needed?

My 2002 Echo sedan has 275k suburban miles. I have changed the oil consistently at 5k intervals since I got the car used in 2005 at 61k miles.

I used synthetic exclusively for a long time until I began consuming more of it than I was comfortable with. Currently, I burn about 10 ounces of 5-30 conventional per 1000 miles, which is roughly five weeks of driving.

I'd just use synthetic. Burning some oil means you top it off every once in a while and replenish the additives, which means you can stretch the oil change interval out a little bit.

10 ounces in 1,000 miles isn't anything to worry about, that's about 1 quart in 3,000 miles.

I would try rotella T4 triple protect 10w30 in there. The old Triple protect 10w30 used to be THE GO-TO OIL for older engines or stressed engines and ODPE in a 30 grade. Haven't tried the T4 but I would give it a shot.

To slow oil consumption, use Mobil1 High Mileage 10w30. Its a bit thicker than normal 5w30 or other 10w30 oils. HTHS=3.5 which is high for a 30 weight.
Also, its extra seal conditioners will keep the seals flexible to prevent future leaks.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
To slow oil consumption, use Mobil1 High Mileage 10w30. Its a bit thicker than normal 5w30 or other 10w30 oils. HTHS=3.5 which is high for a 30 weight.
Also, its extra seal conditioners will keep the seals flexible to prevent future leaks.

or Valvoline Maxlife...

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I would use the M1 10W-30 HM, like suggested above. It is relatively inexpensive, and stout oil.

I get the least oil consumption with this oil of various major brands I have tried (including maxlife products). In the Southeast, it can be year-round for you. It's on rebate now and as mentioned, pretty inexpensive in comparison.

With the small sump size in that, I'd set one of my trip odometers to zero at my oil change, then check the oil every 500 miles and top up, and no less often than that. I have a vehicle with higher consumption than yours(but a larger sump), and I top it up every 400 miles. It helps reduce consumption.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

10 ounces in 1,000 miles isn't anything to worry about, that's about 1 quart in 3,000 miles.

Correct. Just add whatever is cheap, it will still replenish additives. Change oil at 15,000.

Originally Posted By: EchoThat300K
Is there an advantage to using synthetic to top off conventional oil as needed?

My 2002 Echo sedan has 275k suburban miles. I have changed the oil consistently at 5k intervals since I got the car used in 2005 at 61k miles.

I used synthetic exclusively for a long time until I began consuming more of it than I was comfortable with. Currently, I burn about 10 ounces of 5-30 conventional per 1000 miles, which is roughly five weeks of driving.

Many years ago I would make my own FrankenBrew oil. I would sometimes mix half and half dino oil with synthetic. I would also mix different weight oils of dino and synthetic. There are quite a few members here that have, and some still are, mixing oils. So, yes, you can top off your dino oil with synthetic oil all day long.
smile.gif

Another option is the Mobil Super Hi Mileage - $15 a jug and its a semi-synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back