Thoughts on Service Pro Global ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about getting the transmission serviced in my truck soon. Don't know if it's ever been done and it's at 123k now so figure it's probably time. It's a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4 speed auto. The dipstick says to never change it under "normal" driving conditions but I'm fairly certain it's never been under normal conditions it's whole life, at least not while I've had it. It tows, hauls loads and does some off road excursions from time to time during hunting season.
The local shop that does transmission services uses Service Pro Global ATF that's supposed to meet the specs for a large variety of domestic and import transmissions. It's a full synthetic as I understand it. Does anyone know about this or use it? Who makes it and is it quality stuff? Not sure ATF is held to the same standards for quality as motor oil is. I'm planning on having the full service done with fluid change and filter replacement. Costs around $200 and seems reasonable to me considering how much ATF a transmission takes on average. Should I go with this stuff or buy something better and bring it in for the service instead?

IN my opinion no global or universal transmission fluid can meet the friction requirements of every transmission fluid specification. I would bring my own fluid to the shop and have them use it. Pay once and have the correct fluid installed.

If it were me... I do this:

Disconnect a trans cooler line, and idle in neutral until I get bubbles. then shut off engine.

Refill with new fluid same qty of whatever came out.

Repeat every 25,000 - 30,000 miles.

Use ONLY fluid that is SPECIFICALLY stated for use in your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Thinking about getting the transmission serviced in my truck soon. Don't know if it's ever been done and it's at 123k now so figure it's probably time. It's a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4 speed auto. The dipstick says to never change it under "normal" driving conditions but I'm fairly certain it's never been under normal conditions it's whole life, at least not while I've had it. It tows, hauls loads and does some off road excursions from time to time during hunting season.
The local shop that does transmission services uses Service Pro Global ATF that's supposed to meet the specs for a large variety of domestic and import transmissions. It's a full synthetic as I understand it. Does anyone know about this or use it? Who makes it and is it quality stuff? Not sure ATF is held to the same standards for quality as motor oil is. I'm planning on having the full service done with fluid change and filter replacement. Costs around $200 and seems reasonable to me considering how much ATF a transmission takes on average. Should I go with this stuff or buy something better and bring it in for the service instead?

What does "full service" mean at this shop?

All fluid exchanged? Only fluid in pan exchanged. Filter replaced?

Go with Amsoil or OEM ATF.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: jongies3

What does "full service" mean at this shop?

All fluid exchanged? Only fluid in pan exchanged. Filter replaced?

Go with Amsoil or OEM ATF.

Everything replaced along with filter.

For an 04 Toyota? If I recall that still takes T-IV which isn't a special fluid. Any universal will work fine. Especially at 123k

Got it done yesterday and it seems to be running smooth as ever. Don't know why I didn't do this sooner! Much smoother shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back