Pine tree sap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Rubbing Alcohol removes Tree Sap. Better yet...Hand Sanitizer with RA.

believe it or not, most hand sanitizers have reformulated to Ethanol(Ethyl Alcohol) instead of Rubbing (Isopropyl) Alcohol.

this is why it had bitterants added, and had to be removed from many schools. Kids were drinking it(usually mixed with orange Juice or similar).

Depends on how aggressive you need to be.

Start with a good wash with warm to hot water

Then maybe get into the solvents (Ethanol or Isopropyl)

Follow with a good clay

Then a machine polish (depending on if the paint is etched or has bad swirls)

Finish with a sealant or wax of your choosing.

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
IPA - Rubbing alcohol. It wont harm the paint and glass and takes sap off with ease. Afterwards I would gives the car a good wash with a stronger concentration of soap to prevent any residue from remaining.

I should have taken a photo, my CUV got decimated this year. at least 40 large blobs all over the hood.

One day after work I looked around the house. I used charcoal lighter fluid or mineral spirits for the big stuff and 2-propanol for the smaller ones and gave it a wash and Carnuba after.

This is the First time wax was on the car since I bought it about 3 years ago. Bet the sap would not have blotched the paint if I had some sort of "sealant" on there. After clear-coat came out on everything I haven't found anything that stayed on the clear coat.

Any Suggestions?

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Rubbing Alcohol removes Tree Sap. Better yet...Hand Sanitizer with RA.

believe it or not, most hand sanitizers have reformulated to Ethanol(Ethyl Alcohol) instead of Rubbing (Isopropyl) Alcohol.

this is why it had bitterants added, and had to be removed from many schools. Kids were drinking it(usually mixed with orange Juice or similar).

Drinking either Ethanol or Isopropyl would not be good . Isopropyl would be worse . But , I do not know what that taste like . So it might be a non issue ?

Best wishes , :)

We had a bottle of reagent grade Ethyl Alcohol in the lab in Wilmington; High quality super dry 198 proof.

last day at work ( company was sold to Interplex) the Ukrainian metallurgist and I had a couple shots.

Best Vodka BY FAR out there buddy. True Story.

CAUTION: Don't drink denatured alcohol.

We used to use undenatured EtOH all the time back at a previous job. You should never drink it unless it is also labeled USP which it is never labeled. The drying agents used to manufacture anhydrous EtOH are not food safe.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
We had a bottle of reagent grade Ethyl Alcohol in the lab in Wilmington; High quality super dry 198 proof.

last day at work ( company was sold to Interplex) the Ukrainian metallurgist and I had a couple shots.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Drinking either Ethanol or Isopropyl would not be good . Isopropyl would be worse . But , I do not know what that taste like . So it might be a non issue ?

Ethyl alcohol (ethanol) is the alcohol present in beer, wine and distilled spirits so that is what you're drinking every time you have a beer.

Not that it isn't toxic however, it's just that it's the least toxic of the alcohols
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
We used to use undenatured EtOH all the time back at a previous job. You should never drink it unless it is also labeled USP which it is never labeled. The drying agents used to manufacture anhydrous EtOH are not food safe.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Yeah I thought about that. But soldiered on regardless.
No ill effects .. uh ... on li ben afleck ... I don't see a problem.

**To remove tree sap on a vehicle - use pre moistened lens cleaner towlettes found at Walmart , Target , etc. and it will esily and safely remove the sap like magic ! Don't rely on other products that claim to remove tree sap that require a bunch of rubbing and elbow grease and don't work as they will remove your clearcoat finish ... Ask me how I know !

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
**To remove tree sap on a vehicle - use pre moistened lens cleaner towlettes found at Walmart , Target , etc. and it will esily and safely remove the sap like magic ! Don't rely on other products that claim to remove tree sap that require a bunch of rubbing and elbow grease and don't work as they will remove your clearcoat finish ... Ask me how I know !

I'd prefer using rubbing alcohol on a plush microfiber towel for removal. I do agree about being careful with the elbow grease.

Since so many are suggesting alcohol based products, how about E-85 gasoline?

I have a gallon left over that I used for some other cleaning. It's usually 70-80% alcohol and gasoline itself is usually a very good solvent as well.

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back