Purolator PL14459 2011 vintage 5668mi 97 Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter seems to have been made in July 2011. It was in use for 5668 miles, from 7/5/2017 to 8/29/2017 with 65% Peak 10w30 and 35% Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40. During this OCI, the car was used on two 600 mile trips, one 2300 mile trip to Idaho and the rest 25 mile one way commutes in parking lot type of trafic.
The ADBV worked great, after almost a month of draining the filter with hardly anything draining out, a lot of oil came out when the filter was cut.
I always associated wavy pleats with moisture in the oil, this filter must have came wavy from the factory. 61 pleats on this filter - like the L14459, for those that care.
No tears of the media, but on one section, the glue seems to have separated from the metal end cap, hardly visible in the second to last photo.
I did cut my finger opening this one up, going with the trend of my messing things up lately, I must be getting old.

Another good looking Puro. As I'm sure the vast majority are. Yes, i know, BITOG seems to get all the torn ones.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
This filter seems to have been made in July 2011.

Made before the Tearolator dynasty started.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: zorobabel
This filter seems to have been made in July 2011.

Made before the Tearolator dynasty started.

Weirdly enough, around 2009-2010 when bitog was in love with Purolator, I've had some teacup PL14476 Purolators with 1-2 cracks in the media, but along the pleats, not like the later filters with pleats torn at the ends.

Re ripped media in Purolaters.

Someone who worked in a plant explained how cutting and "pleating" knives' blades are either set too deep or not adjusted during production.

Maybe the diligence of BITOGers helped / will help remedy this QC problem. It appears to have been remedied.

Separate from that, does anyone think anyone working on an oil filter assembly line could be 100% diligent? Those odd breaks at the base of media look to me to be elements which were squeezed by hand in haste to be set into place before gluing.

I think the best insurance against engine damage is continued filter dissection so the manufacturers know we're looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back