Oil for high mileage Nissan Pathfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder that I've owned for over 10 years. It currently has 447,000km (275~k miles) on the original motor. But recently I've noticed on trips through hilly areas where I have to gear down and rev the motor high to maintain speed, it will use oil. Not a lot, but 1/2 to 1 quart every 1500km deepening on the load. I've gotten used to just slowing down and it is fine, just like my normal city driving. I know it's probably just wear, but I'm wondering if I should step up the oil viscosity? Still running the OE spec'd 5w30, usually Pennzoil. I do all my own work but I am by no means an oil expert. All gaskets have been replaced at some point and there are no leaks, so I don't think high mileage oil will help, right? And no I won't put lucas in it! lol

High mileage oil will help keep ageing seals flexible so they won't begin to look. If those seals are older than 6 years and/or 80,000 miles, then you really should be using a High Mileage Oil. 5w30 is fine. Valvoline MaxLife would be my pick.

2w2oork.jpg

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
High mileage oil will help keep ageing seals flexible so they won't begin to look. If those seals are older than 6 years and/or 80,000 miles, then you really should be using a High Mileage Oil. 5w30 is fine. Valvoline MaxLife would be my pick.

They are quite new, I changed the oil pan gasket in the spring. And the rear main seal 2 years ago. Camshaft/front crank was done at last timing belt interval, as were the valve cover gaskets. About 4 years. Nothing leaks at all externally.

I will try and find some maxlife, I wish Canadian tire carried Valvoline. Walmart here seems to be a [censored] shoot as to whether it is in stock. I haven't seen chevron here either.

I sent off an oil analysis from the last change and I'm really curious as to the results. Will certainly post here!

Thank you everyone for your input. Love this site.

Originally Posted By: AdamZ
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
High mileage oil will help keep ageing seals flexible so they won't begin to leak. If those seals are older than 6 years and/or 80,000 miles, then you really should be using a High Mileage Oil. 5w30 is fine. Valvoline MaxLife would be my pick.
They are quite new, I changed the oil pan gasket in the spring. And the rear main seal 2 years ago. Camshaft/front crank was done at last timing belt interval, as were the valve cover gaskets. About 4 years. Nothing leaks at all externally.
Those seals are so new, a High Mileage oil is not necessary. It won't hurt, but a normal oil is all you need. On an older vehicle like that, I'd try one of the 0w40 (very stout) oils on the shelf at walmart for about $25 per 5-quart jug. Any 0w40 you see will do great. It could slow down or halt the oil usage, and you can leave that stuff in for a year or 10k miles at a time, its that good.

So the Walmart near me had no stock of the max life, so I went with the mobil 1 0w40. I also replaced the PCV valve. I think the one in there was the original, it had the Nissan logo on it! Used an aftermarket which makes me weary, hopefully it is fine.

I also forgot to mention, I added an oil filter relocation kit. Since I have headers it is hard to squeeze the filter through there. Running the XG8A filter, oil capacity has gone from the stock 3.6L to almost 5L.

Originally Posted By: AdamZ
Used an aftermarket which makes me weary, hopefully it is fine.

Hopefully made by a company you've at least heard of before like Fram, etc. Otherwise replace it again now or after a very short interval.

It was a Fram. Normally for stuff like this I always hit up the dealer. Surprisingly for a 23 year old vehicle they have a lot available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back