Just bought used Exmark LazerZ---->Maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off let me say I am excited to have a zero turn for the first time, I am hoping it will help save time mowing about 7 acres!

Mower is a 60" deck (very beefy thick steel) and has the 23 horse Kohler Command pro air cooled V-twin. Due to model year it has the older hydrostat design with the pumps seperate from the hydrostat instead of the combined unit the new ones have.

Hydrostat reservoir calls for Mobil one 15w-50 synthetic. It's probably never been changed at 1200 hours so I am going to do a full service with filter.

Lay your knowledge on me! Good sites to get filters/parts? Good things to know? Good maintenance practices particular to this model? Thanks!

They're a Little bit expensive, but they have all the part diagrams and usually receive the parts in a day or two.

I usually use the partstree diagrams to get the part numbers and search ebay or amazon for cheaper prices.

As for oil/filters: Use a good HDEO. I prefer Rotella T5 10w30 and have been using it in the 25hp and 22hp Kohler Commands in my John Deere and my grandfather's Scag zero turn. Both have 700+ hours on them. For filters I usually use Napa Gold 1348.

Congrats. I have an old ExMark LazerZ HP but only a 48" deck. Love it. It only has 360hrs on it. It has the 21hp Kawasaki vtwin engine. So far I had to replace the drive belt and a coil. It has been a tank otherwise. I changed the hydro oil out to AMSOIL. Regular Mobil 1 will be fine, I just chose to use AMSOIL. The hydro filter is expensive but as often as you change it to me that isn't a major concern. I purchase locally since there is a dealer close by and like to give to the local shops. They need to eat just like the rest of us.

It is overkill but I change out the oil and filter on the engine once a year in the fall just before putting it away for it's three month slumber here in eastern NC.

I think you will love it and be surprised how fast you can mow those 7 acres.

Thanks for the tips! Ahh, pump and pump motor, got it!

I didn't realize Amsoil could be a replacement hydro oil, do they (Amsoil) carry an appropriate hydro filter as well?

I just saw a OEM engine filter at sears for $17... yikes, and partstree is 11.17 for Kohler Engines 52 050 02-S filter. I'll bet there is a Fram Ultra that will work, maybe even an oversized one?

You've got a good mower. Just keep an eye on the hoses and joints between the pump and motors for leaks.
texasmowerparts.com
mowpart.com

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Thanks for the tips! Ahh, pump and pump motor, got it!

I didn't realize Amsoil could be a replacement hydro oil, do they (Amsoil) carry an appropriate hydro filter as well?

I just saw a OEM engine filter at sears for $17... yikes, and partstree is 11.17 for Kohler Engines 52 050 02-S filter. I'll bet there is a Fram Ultra that will work, maybe even an oversized one?

For the engine I would just use a regular automotive oil filter. They are often the same or better construction than the Kohler OEM.

Napa 1348 and Fram 3614 would work well.

Sounds like a great machine! As much as I like the higher-end unitized ZTR drives with the spin-on filters, I'd take a separate pump and motor drive over one all day long! Like you say, I'd swap out the drive system oil and filter ASAP and give the machine a good cleaning and go over. I'd run the equiv of a Motorcraft FL400 filter on that Kohler V-twin if there's room.

Yeah, AMSOIL just came out with a hydro oil. They do not have a filter for it last time I checked which was a long time ago. I just went with a filter the local ExMark shop had on the shelf. Not cheap at $22 but as often as I change it not bad either.

Motorcraft 910S filter with Rotella 10W30. Kohler command has hydraulic lifters and Kohler says use HDEO 10W30 in them, or at least did last I checked.

Pick your poison

51HtMOky6VL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

510W-9xBKTL._SY450_.jpg

Oil filter - Fram 3614 or equivalent, oversized is Fram 3600 or Purolator 20195.
Running an AutoZone S3600 myself...

Oil
Shell Rotella T5 , economy choice, semi synthetic, or T6, full synthetic.
I love the T6 in 5W-40...

Hydraulic filter - NAPA has Wix, and reboxed Wix as Napa brand.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Motorcraft 910S filter with Rotella 10W30. Kohler command has hydraulic lifters and Kohler says use HDEO 10W30 in them, or at least did last I checked.

Pick your poison

51HtMOky6VL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

510W-9xBKTL._SY450_.jpg

Definitely planning on running HDEO, most likely ROtella, but some of the locally available Delo has decent prices as well. I'm glad it has hydraulic lifters even though I think its fun to adjust the tiny lifters in OPE like my snow blower.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: loneryder
You've got a good mower. Just keep an eye on the hoses and joints between the pump and motors for leaks.
texasmowerparts.com
mowpart.com

Good to know, on inspection I noticed a bit of dirt sticking to them from weepage. Is this the kind of thing that can be fixed by applying teflon tape and retightening them? I wouldn't want to ruin the $600 pumps if the hydro fluid runs low from the leaks after all!
smile.gif

texasmowerparts.com
mowpart.com

Good to know, on inspection I noticed a bit of dirt sticking to them from weepage. Is this the kind of thing that can be fixed by applying teflon tape and retightening them? I wouldn't want to ruin the $600 pumps if the hydro fluid runs low from the leaks after all!
smile.gif

I would just clean them and keep an eye on them. It's easy enough to check the oil level. I had a Toro Z Master with the same set up and mine were a little dirty but never leaked. Keep good oil in them and they will last several thousand hrs. Mine used Mobil 1 15-50 also.

texasmowerparts.com
mowpart.com

smile.gif

I would just clean them and keep an eye on them. It's easy enough to check the oil level. I had a Toro Z Master with the same set up and mine were a little dirty but never leaked. Keep good oil in them and they will last several thousand hrs. Mine used Mobil 1 15-50 also.

I too would not break any connections or open up anything that is not actively leaking.

Basically why I suggested several posts above to thoroughly clean/de-grease the whole machine to give it a good look-over.

Sounds like a plan, thanks everyone!

Planning an initial short clean cycle (along with de-grease of hoses) of conventional rotella and a FL1A filter if it will fit, it looked like there was plenty of space. Also a full flush of the Hydraulic system with Amsoil 20w-50 hydro and new filter.
https://www.amsoil.com/shopres/products/900px/AHF.jpg

After everything has been flushed sufficiently I plan or running T6 and a PH8A Fram ultra for yearly oci.

I'm very happy with the Amsoil 20w50 hydro oil full season on it very smooth don't know if worth added expense over M1 never ran it but happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back