Bought a set of Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 215/65R16 for the 2003.

Even though I have a usable set Altimax Arctic which I might sell on CL. Something I didnt think about when I bought the Altimax tires and didnt get them studded is they likely rely on the studs to get ice traction. Between the last two winters I got stuck on ice three times with the Altimax and I had a limited slip differential out back. The friction coefficient was so low I could not get the differential clutches to actually grip. It would just grind and act like an open.
I wanted to go back to a performance Ice/Snow tire without the studding capability. My last tires in this category were the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D that I had on my 2004 with an open differential. I don't remember having any problems with those tires. This category seems to be a good fit for my conditions locally. Its usually fairly dry through the winter which burns up pure studless ice/snow tires. Any rain freezes overnight. Snow melts during the day to become ice. Then theres the freezing rain that comes later in the winter. My top three concerns are probably dry traction/treadlife, ice performance and wet performance.
Over the winter, I will acquire some later 17" steel wheels and 235/55R17 tires to put on the car come spring. Which is my other reasoning for the new tires. I wasnt super excited about paying out $80 to mount tires I wasnt happy with on these wheels and only use for one winter. I just wanted to get a new set, mount them once and leave them on until they are worn out as I will have the 17" set for the remainder of the year.

Should arrive Thursday. Will wait until later next month to get them mounted up.

Last edited:
I think I would have went in a different direction.

Michelin xice xi3 perhaps.. but if you want more dry performance those pirellis are a good option.

I had a set of dunlop winter sport m3(predecessor to the dunlop 3d) on my 2007 focus.. was pretty good until season 3 when I slid all over on ice.

I was watching those too. DTD had their Labor Day sale so I picked up a set of Continental’s for a smidge over $200 so I let the Pirelli’s go.

If TR would have dropped their price, I would be riding on them this winter. They rate very well in Euro tire tests.

Originally Posted By: LotI
I was watching those too. DTD had their Labor Day sale so I picked up a set of Continental’s for a smidge over $200 so I let the Pirelli’s go.

If TR would have dropped their price, I would be riding on them this winter. They rate very well in Euro tire tests.

I was looking at the Continental Wintercontact SI but was unsure about dry traction and treadlife. They are cheaper but again I was concerned about burning them up on dry pavement.

This particular size of the Sottozero 3 is on closeout which made the price palatable. And they have the $80 rebate which will about pay for getting them mounted.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Michelin xice xi3 perhaps.. but if you want more dry performance those pirellis are a good option.

I had a set of dunlop winter sport m3(predecessor to the dunlop 3d) on my 2007 focus.. was pretty good until season 3 when I slid all over on ice.

thumbsup2.gif
For the Michelin iceX
Drove my wife's Sienna (with iceX on) on pure ice in high wind and it felt like I was on dry pavement.

Has 40k warranty which reviews on tirerack seemed to confirm that they will last.2

Last edited:

These Pirelli's are going to be much better in slush then Xi3 which are probably worst performing winter tire in slush.
While Xi3 are really good in ice, their snow performance is mediocre, especially again, slush.
Michelin was always mid ground tire that in winter category that does everything OK, with emphasis on ice. Pirelli at least in ADAC testing was always better performing tire then any Michelin.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

These Pirelli's are going to be much better in slush then Xi3 which are probably worst performing winter tire in slush.
While Xi3 are really good in ice, their snow performance is mediocre, especially again, slush.
Michelin was always mid ground tire that in winter category that does everything OK, with emphasis on ice. Pirelli at least in ADAC testing was always better performing tire then any Michelin.

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the ratings of the XIce. It is a little bit cheaper than these Pirelli.
The slush is a good point. If it does manage to snow, it takes a few days for them to actually get some of the roads plowed. Mean time am driving on slush.

Tire warranties dont mean much to me. I can generally count on getting about 50-60% of the rated miles out of a set of tires and thats been true for every set of tires I ever bought.

The XI3, or are you thinking the XI2 which is the older version with a different tread??

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

The XI3, or are you thinking the XI2 which is the older version with a different tread??

Here is tire rack reviews and road test
Reviews from drivers are very high and road test put them number 2 in snow.
Perellis were not in that test.

Always is pretty absolute word to use, and good thing you used past tense.

2016 ADAC winter tire test in 185/65r15, The Michelin Alpin A4 was 2nd place. The Pirelli Cinturato Winter got 8th.

the 2014 195/65r15 * 175/65r14 test, Michelin Alpin 5 also beat the Pirelli SnowControl Serie 3

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Always is pretty absolute word to use, and good thing you used past tense.

2016 ADAC winter tire test in 185/65r15, The Michelin Alpin A4 was 2nd place. The Pirelli Cinturato Winter got 8th.

the 2014 195/65r15 * 175/65r14 test, Michelin Alpin 5 also beat the Pirelli SnowControl Serie 3

Currently I have (run last season) Michelin Alpin 5 in 215/65r16 and my father have a Pirelli Snowcontrol Serie 3 in 195/65 r15. Pirelli were second in 2015 Auto Bild test. Not the same size and not the same vehicles but they are comparable in real situations. Dry/wet, similar. Had not drove the Pirelli in the snow but I'm sure they are great. Premium brands are all high quality IMO.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Snow tire = Nokian Nokian R2

but it won't be as good in the cold dry/cold rain as a central European winter tire like the aforementioned Pirelli's. For Nokian, that's why they have the WR A and D series.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: khittner
Snow tire = Nokian Nokian R2

but it won't be as good in the cold dry/cold rain as a central European winter tire like the aforementioned Pirelli's. For Nokian, that's why they have the WR A and D series.

Yeah If I was putting out for a Nokian it would be a WR.

I didnt expect this much Discourse on my tire thread, lol.

Last edited:

Out of curiousity, is this a huntch on the Xi3's or is this actually documented in the ADAC test?

….These Pirelli's are going to be much better in slush then Xi3 which are probably worst performing winter tire in slush.

I have seen several 2-tire slush tests of the Xi3 from Russian and Scandinavian publications, and it is very often in last place in a field of 8-10 tested tires. Does that make it the worst slush performer of all winter tires? No.

The Xi3 always scores well in snow performance on the test track, where groomed snow is used. Anecdotal reports say it does not do well in deep, freshly fallen snow.

Got them in yesterday. They are old stock, 4415, but I expected that getting a Tire Rack closeout. I dont much care. They are an H-rated tire being used in low temperatures for 5k a year for 3 or 4 years. They'll hold together just fine I think.
High temperature was in the 80s today. Late Oct, early Nov is when the night time temperatures begin getting low enough to risk ice. I think Im going to change a little earlier than I'd like due to the tires on the car being completely worn out to the wear bars. I am having fun with them in the mean time though because I found out I can stomp it from a standstill, light both tires up and smoke them all the way through 1st gear. Ive never let myself have such poor tires before.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

Out of curiousity, is this a huntch on the Xi3's or is this actually documented in the ADAC test?

Xi3 are NEVER tested in ADAC since Michelin does not sell Xi3 in EU except Scandinavia. Russia is also market where they sell Xi3, as well as Japan, and North America.
For majority EU market they offer Alpin A5 (current) and it is more oriented toward higher speeds.
To you question, as someone mentioned before Xi3 always tests bad in slush test, but also just go and review comments on tire rack. Also, design is obvious indication that slush is not going to be strong side.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the ratings of the XIce. It is a little bit cheaper than these Pirelli.
The slush is a good point. If it does manage to snow, it takes a few days for them to actually get some of the roads plowed. Mean time am driving on slush.

Tire warranties dont mean much to me. I can generally count on getting about 50-60% of the rated miles out of a set of tires and thats been true for every set of tires I ever bought.

Sottozero 3 should not be compared to the mich Xi3. The mich alpin PA3 is a better comparison as that is their performance snow, the Xi3 is a standard snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back