Is the 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt any good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beloved 2001 Saturn with 181000 miles is going to give up anytime, I love about the Saturn, that is cheap to fix, I get around 37 miles per hour, insurance is cheap, however they dont make sat urns anymore, what do you guys make of the 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt? any good ?

As a former saturn s-series hoarder, I agree the Cobalt is the spiritual successor.

There are better cars all over, but if you can get a deal on that 'balt, jump!

I had a 2005 Saturn Ion which is a Cobalt clone....a very decent econobox...the only thing I didn't like was the seats..
I also had a 2002 Saturn SL with M/T...another decent econobox but I found it to be very low to enter and exit....

I've heard of quality, reliability and transmission problems with 2010-14 Chevrolet Cobalts.
GM has redesigned and relauched them with still mixed results. Sad!

I'd google it for feedback

The only thing solid on a cobalt is the Ecotec and the trans. The rest is junk and nothing like a good old Saturn SL. It's amazing to me that that made a much better car out of plastic than they did out of metal.

I owned a 2006 for about 6 months approx 2 years ago. Junk automatic transmission, engine however was absolutely bulletproof. Car had approx 130K on it before the tranny gave out. Interior, body and electricals had held up very nicely though. I ended up selling it for parts.

I had a 2005, it was a good car and I thought the 2.2/4 speed auto was a pretty good combo. My only complaints were the backseat was a bit tight, and the center console/armrest could have been better.

Steering and front suspension problems galore. Good engine and trans, easy to do most maintenance items yourself.

Check the rockers and lower doors for rust. The 2010 should have the latest timing chain tensioner update.

Awful seats, even worse ergonomics and driving position. Interior is literally all hard plastic. If GM could save money on this car by cutting corners, then they definitely did. (See ignition switch recall, power steering recall, etc.)

I know is not a Saturn, but if I can get 15000 miles from the car, I will be a happy customer

here is the car

Cobalt

it has low miles and the price seem to be good

Last edited:
Seems pretty good, nice that it's a higher trim level LT model. Ask seller how long they've owned it? Any issues, accidents, maintenance records etc. Check Carcomplaints.com .

Do you want 15k miles out of it or keep it for 150k miles? Maybe that was a typo.

Last edited:
As long as you have service records that it is was serviced regularly you should be good to go for the 15K miles you want to go with it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Seems pretty good, nice that it's a higher trim level LT model. Ask seller how long they've owned it? Any issues, accidents, maintenance records etc. Check Carcomplaints.com .

Do you want 15k miles out of it or keep it for 150k miles? Maybe that was a typo.

yes you are right i want at least 150000

My friend had one, a bare bones 4 door model. Only issues were front end noises from suspension. Don't recall any other problems. Seemed to be reliable. It should be since it's basic and less to go wrong. Worth checking out.

I looked at an 06 yesterday. Look at the Carfax to see some of the issues it had and decide from there:

Link

Last edited:
I had a 2007 Cobalt 4dr LS (base model with AT). I wish I had kept that car longer! It was a great little car. Like said, front control arm bushings are common failure items and clunky, noisy steering shafts are common. The Ecotec 2.2 and 4T45E 4spd auto are a great combo for the price point IMO. I know back then Cobalts were relatively expensive to insure for this class of vehicle, especially the 2dr version.

Last edited:
well it sold before I have a chance to see, back to square one, what is another car like a Saturn sl ? cheap, good in gas and easy to fix ?

Does the Sonic with the 1.8 has a timing belt ? and if it does when do you have to replace it ?

thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sirgerman
well it sold before I have a chance to see, back to square one, what is another car like a Saturn sl ? cheap, good in gas and easy to fix ?

Does the Sonic with the 1.8 has a timing belt ? and if it does when do you have to replace it ?

thanks
Give us a budget

Originally Posted By: sirgerman

03-08 Toyota Corolla/Matrix or Pontiac Vibe same years. Less issues to deal with as well.

^^Ask the man who owns one.
The Vibe/Matrix seems to be a really good and utilitarian machine that comes pretty cheap as a used car, especially those wearing the orphaned Pontiac badge.
These things seem to be very solid examples of the sort of cars that made Toyotas famous for their durability and reliability.

Yes, they're not perfect by any means but a good car for around town. On the hwy it's ok except in the hills of West Virginia on the hwy when it's windy. Since it's kind of tall and narrow. The 09+, new generation are probably better in that regard. Some of the Vibes have extra plastic cladding around the wheel arches which seem to attract some extra rust behind them. Esp in the rust belt.

When I sold 12 qts of 20w50 Synpower a few weeks ago to a car/motorcycle guy he couldn't believe how good it looked and asked if I wanted to sell it. He wanted to open the driver's side door and look inside.

My budget is around $6000, trying to find a manual transmission, less problems than a automatic, also I think the Cobalt or the Saturn Ion are my best choices right now, in addition I dont want a car with a timing belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back