What makes Toyota oil better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Toyota FAQ page, one question is asked, "Can I use any brand of 0W-20 synthetic oil?" To which there answer is, "Genuine Toyota motor oil 0W-20 utilizes a Toyota-specific additive package that will provide the best results for oil performance and fuel economy. However, other 0W-20 synthetic oils can be used as long as they are ILSAC certified, which is found on the oil container label." What makes Toyota so different that they have a Toyota-specific additive package? Why couldn't other oils being as good or better? In my owners manual, they do say ILSAC GF-5 oil can be used. According to that, I could use Pennzoil Gold which is a synthetic blend. If Toyota want me to use a synthetic oil, why don't they use some specs to eliminate the use of Pennzoil Gold?

Its mostly a little scare language to convince the common person to use only toyota oil. Many toyota dealerships dont use toyota oil unless you specifiy it. Then you pay extra.

You can pickup toyota oil on sale from time to time for similar prices to Walmart 5qt jug prices so the oil must cost toyota very little In order for them to make a profit on it. The other thing vehicle manufacturers is recommend a perticular brand of oil like Hyndai and QS. But QS paid Hyndai to put their name in the manual, so hyndai make money off the oil deal that way jnstead of selling Hyandai branded oil.

While toyota oil is quality stuff, any major manufacturer oil that meets the specification will be fine for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Last edited:
My dealer uses tgmo ( Toyota gets Mobil one). Really they are the least strict when it comes to certifications, so saying they have a Toyota specific add pack sounds like it is the worst on the market.
wink.gif

Yes, toyota design the sumps of their engines specifically around TGMO.
Ninjas smuggle the special toyota additives into the Continental US at night (well the current special additives, it's not like KFC, the recipe changes), and it's assembled from Group III by Mobil using blind deaf mutes to ensure secrecy is maintained.

Then to further protect the secret sauce, they only give it the most basic API and ILSAC ratings, keeping the market completely ignorant of it's extensive specification list (TGMO and Hubble have been mentioned in the same thread before).

It's the most hyped oil on BITOG, with absolutely no basis for the claims made around it.

Look up UOAs, very little difference iirc I they put a bit more magnesium in their oils, but that's pretty much it. The TGMO 5W30 is not syn also, only the 0W20. Paying syn prices for a dino/semi syn 5W30 just doesn't make sense. But some people just like the feeling of having Toyota branded oil in their Toyota so who am I to judge?

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
My dealer uses tgmo ( Toyota gets Mobil one). Really they are the least strict when it comes to certifications, so saying they have a Toyota specific add pack sounds like it is the worst on the market.
wink.gif

My Corolla gets what ever full synthetic is on sale at the best price. In 13.5 years I haven't gotten one written complain from it. But I'm open minded and I'm waiting!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yes, toyota design the sumps of their engines specifically around TGMO.
Ninjas smuggle the special toyota additives into the Continental US at night (well the current special additives, it's not like KFC, the recipe changes), and it's assembled from Group III by Mobil using blind deaf mutes to ensure secrecy is maintained.

Then to further protect the secret sauce, they only give it the most basic API and ILSAC ratings, keeping the market completely ignorant of it's extensive specification list (TGMO and Hubble have been mentioned in the same thread before).

It's the most hyped oil on BITOG, with absolutely no basis for the claims made around it.

Brilliant!
thumbsup2.gif
LMAO!
grin.gif

Better than what?
Better than the many name brand 0W-20 synthetics?
An easy question to answer.
It isn't.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
My dealer uses tgmo ( Toyota gets Mobil one).

When I was working on Toyota service as a student back in 07/08...there was Esso/Mobil1 sticker on their geniune oil barrels....with that Mobil1 pegasus logo on it
wink.gif

I read somewhere that TGMO uses quad-knuckler moly which is supposedly superior to every other form of the stuff by a wide margin.

It's good oil for sure but nothing magical. Go with any major brand and you will do just fine.

It's made by Mobil. Got to be Mobil 1.
Isn't Mobil 1 0-20 one of the best oils out there?

Originally Posted By: loneryder
It's made by Mobil. Got to be Mobil 1.
Isn't Mobil 1 0-20 one of the best oils out there?

It might be Mobil Super as well.

There is no such thing as the best oil.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Thought it was slightly tweaked M1?

It is!
Toyota's formulation geniuses got rid of all that old-school Grp IV Mobil uses in M1 AFE and EP and replaced it with Grp III.
Toyota's wizards then specified a heavy load of VIIs to yield a high VI, never mind the increase in temporary shear and deposits.
If you ignore temporary shear, permanent shear, deposit formation and cold end performance, then TGMO 0W-20 is indeed a tweak of anything offered as M1.
I'll take the M1 myself.

fdcg27, something else to add is that Toyota and the Japanese OEMS lobbied the API to reduce the stringency of the high temperature deposits test for 0W20, and that grade only because their superior additive packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back