RLI 5w30 6080 miles Mazdaspeed 3 2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an uoa and a voa on renewable lubricants 5w30 low ash.
The only additives are a fuel conditioner by Renewable lubricants called bio plus.
I believe that oxidation is naturally high in RLIs formulation.
However, I am a little concerned at how high the iron is.
Fuel dilution used to be 2.8 % and now is negligible.
Thoughts?

Comments In order to PROPERLY EVALUATE OXIDATION for synthetic oils, please provide the LUBRICANT MANUFACTURER, PRODUCT

NAME, and VISCOSITY GRADE. Base Number is MODERATELY LOW. As Base Number depletes, the ability to neutralize acids is

diminished. Iron is at a MODERATE LEVEL; IRON SOURCES in engines can be cylinder liners, iron pistons, hardened steel

camshafts, crankshafts, gears, hardened rocker arms, valve bridges,alloyed steel cam follower rollers, etc. We acknowledge

the FLUID INFORMATION was provided, however we were not able to validate it within our database or from the fluid

manufacturer. Please contact the Data Analysis Department to clarify the information. Thank you. Lubricant and filter change

acknowledged. Maintenance action indicated at time of submission (fluid/filter change , filtration, etc.) will have corrected the

issue this system is exhibiting. No further maintenance action is recommended at this time.

Wear Metals (ppm)

Contaminant

Metals (ppm) Multi-Source Metals (ppm) Additive Metals (ppm)

Sample # uoa voa

Iron 71 5

Chromium 1 2

Nickel 1

Aluminum 6 3

Copper 11

Silicon 13 4

Sodium 9 6

Antimony 413

Manganese 1

Boron 28

Magnesium 8 4

Calcium 2416 2831

Barium

Phosphorus 997 1260

Zinc 1243 1376

Lube Time 6080

mi

Unit Time 24080

mi

Lube Change Y

Lube

Added 0

gal

Filter Change Y

Fuel

Dilution %
Vol

Soot .2

% Vol

Water
% Vol

Viscosity 64.3

40°C

cSt

Viscosity 10.4 10.5

100 °C

cSt

Base

Number 2.39 11.2

mg

KOH/g

Oxidation 96

abs/cm

Nitration 17

abs/0.1

mm

Last edited:
jc1112....

Why did you run the low ash formula? I'm going to buy 5 gallons of the full SAPS oil from RLI in 0w30 to run in my Accord.

Terry dyson recommended the low ash.

Not sure why. Due to the DI maybe?

Originally Posted By: jc1112
Terry dyson recommended the low ash.

Not sure why. Due to the DI maybe?

Are those UOA/VOA plus commentaries from Terry Dyson?

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I love RLI, I have a ton of it and feel great using it. I buy it for about 5$ a quart.

How you get it so cheap?

FYI, I ran a 2007 MS3 for 7 years and 158,000 miles on M1 5W-30 with an OCI of 5,000-8,000 miles. UOAs showed the engine to be in great shape.

woahhhh just saw this,

you have some serious issues that need addressing ASAP.

1. engine timing is seriously off but difficult to tell without water by KF. That is either the cams or the chain wearing big time.

2. you will want to have the timing chain checked and O2 sensors checked. It could be as little as a tensioner getting loose or some slack/stretch. I'd take this to a shop if you don't trust yourself evaluating it.

3. The pistons are straining again the cylinder walls, likely bad combustion dynamic as a result of timing.

4. This is not Terry's lab but are you under his supervision? I'd be placing a phone call to Terry first thing in the morning.

5. This is not something I would wait on, immediate action is required.

Your comment of "fuel dilution is negligible" is because they're estimating with FTIR. You need GC. Polaris should still have this sample on their back up racks they keep for retesting. Call them tomorrow and ask if they can add Karl Fischer(insist on KF) and fuel % by Gas Chromatography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back