Husqvarna 10w50 API SM, GL-1 & GL-4 surely not???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys/Girls,

Pretty much as the title really???

I have been asked to source an equivalent to the Husqvarna Synthetic 10w50 API SM lubricant which also mentions GL-1 and GL-4 gear oil specifications??

Please correct me but is it possible to have an engine oil such as a synthetic 10w50 which also carries the GL-1 & GL-4 rating?? Surely it's either not both?

Also would any other 10w50 on the market be a viable alternative as the Husqvarna product is a bit hard to source.

Thank you in advance!

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
If you can find it in the UK, Mobil 1 15W-50 is API SJ, SL, SM, SN

Did you even read the post? Do you even know what GL1 or GL4 are? Probably not, since you just glossed right over that part, and neglected it.

TO the OP, good luck. Sounds like a strange quest to find a multi-purpose oil like that.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
If you can find it in the UK, Mobil 1 15W-50 is API SJ, SL, SM, SN

I did find 10W-30 but couldn't find any references to Husqvarna 10W-50, I'm guessing it might be a Europe only product. Mobil 15W-50 will also meet the GL-4 requirements but it won't say so on the container.

Yeah I've never heard of an engine oil listing gear oil specs like that. I mean, GL-1 is basically just saying that it is a liquid, but still.

I think Motul 4T 10W-50 and Castrol 4T of the same viscosity should be available in your part of the world? Either one should be fine.

Thank you for your help on this one so far.

Here is a picture of the rear of the bottle for information. It's recommended by husqvarna for use in hydrostatic transmissions.

Cheers

If you will have difficulties finding that oil.... Just buy any 10w50 motocycle oil with Jaso MA/ Api SG rating (MA is for gearboxes)...

Alternatively...any tractor UTTO (NOT STOU) oil with Gl4 spec. But they are hard to find in 10w50 grade
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Alternatively...any tractor UTTO (NOT STOU) oil with Gl4 spec. But they are hard to find in 10w50 grade
smile.gif

Ups....my mistake!!!
33.gif

STOU is for transmission AND engine use!

UTTO is transmission and/or hydraulic use ONLY!

Just a few things to get straight and perhaps help with the discussion:

API GL-1 is an obsolete specification so not possible to 'claim' now. Even when it was live, this is what it was:

Quote:
The designation API GL-1 denotes lubricants intended for manual transmissions operating under such mild conditions that straight petroleum or refined petroleum oil may be used satisfactorily. Oxidation and rust inhibitors, defoamers, and pour depressants may be added to improve the characteristics of these lubricants. Friction modifiers and extreme pressure additives shall not be used. API GL-1 lubricants are generally not satisfactory for most passenger car manual transmissions. However, these lubricants have been used in some truck and tractor manual transmissions. Lubricants meeting service designation API MT-1 are an upgrade in performance over lubricants meeting API GL-1 and are preferred by major commercial vehicle manual transmission manufacturers. In all cases, the transmission manufacturer's lubricant quality recommendations should be followed.

Hardly worth mentioning on the label of a performance oil.

JASA MA is a clutch specification and has no gearbox performance cover. It deals solely with wet clutch slip properties.

What do user manuals actually request in terms of oil specification?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back