2.2 Ecotec cartridge filter news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some brands are now using two part numbers for the same application. The two I found now are ACDelco and Hastings, and I can't figure out the difference.

Hastings has both the LF548 and LF624. Priced essentially the same for either.

ACDelco has the PF458G and now also the PF2259G. Both are complete sets with the filter (a PF457G/Hengst E630H), cap, and O-ring. But I can't tell the difference between the 458G and 2259G. Both are labeled "Professional" and not "GM Original Equipment," but GM does this for all their filters and spark plugs, even if they are OE, which the Hengst filter is (a long time ago, Purflux used to be the OE supplier). Both the 458 and 2259 use the same Hengst cartridge and Hengst/GM-branded cap. Except the 2259 costs a couple dollars more than the 458.

Rock Auto's closeout features a Champ P2225, but the pictures show a French-made Purflux L264A. GM's OE supplier for this cartridge when these cars were brand new was Purflux. Of course, the only challenge will be just how old are these things? But if these Champs really are Purflux cartridges, then that is a very good deal! Purflux uses those wavy "chevron" pleats.

The only filters I'd use for this engine are Purflux, Mann, and Hengst/ACDelco.

I can't give you a reference for this, however the "chevron" pleated filters were for use on the first version(s) of the 2.2L Ecotec engines...later versions of the 2.2 and 2.4 required the vertical straight pleated ones. They were different in the height/length of the filter. I know that GM put out a TSB on this sometime around 2004 stating that engine damage could/would result if the previous filter was used in the later engines. To make matters worse several Ecotec filter makers were producing two different heights of the new filters; one based on the old version height specifications and the correct specification. AFAIK there are still two different specs being made...which results in a crushed down deformation of the filter seen at change time.

EDIT: I JUST NOTICED THAT MY SIGNATURE WAS DELETED--A BENIGN QUOTATION FROM A SPEECH BY PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, YET!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue

EDIT: I JUST NOTICED THAT MY SIGNATURE WAS DELETED--A BENIGN QUOTATION FROM A SPEECH BY PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, YET!!!

"Government'sBITOG Admin's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."- Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
I can't give you a reference for this, however the "chevron" pleated filters were for use on the first version(s) of the 2.2L Ecotec engines...later versions of the 2.2 and 2.4 required the vertical straight pleated ones. They were different in the height/length of the filter. I know that GM put out a TSB on this sometime around 2004 stating that engine damage could/would result if the previous filter was used in the later engines. To make matters worse several Ecotec filter makers were producing two different heights of the new filters; one based on the old version height specifications and the correct specification. AFAIK there are still two different specs being made...which results in a crushed down deformation of the filter seen at change time.

uh ohhhhh...
crazy2.gif

I just used the Hengst ACDelco (later version) on a 2001 L200, which originally came with the Purflux. I will definitely post a pic of the used filter at the end of the OCI. The car has an OLM, so that will decide how long the filter will be used for.

And if that's the case, then why doesn't GM still sell the Purflux ACDelco? At least Purflux still makes it! I had an old Purflux, a 2001-production Purflux, next to a 2016-made Hengst, and they seemed to be the same length. Check out this thread

I googled the long GM part numbers (not just the ACDelco part numbers). The Purflux GM part number is 24460713. The Hengst GM part number is 12605566. When I searched for the Purflux part number on various GM dealers' parts sites, it says the 24460713 was superseded by 12579143. When you search for 12579143, it says it was superseded by 12605566!
crazy2.gif
16.gif
mad.gif

The question is, which length is the Mann filter?

I pulled out a Pronto PO5436, and it had the deformation, not the worst case by any means, but definitely noticeable (it was on for about 6k).

I bought a Fram CH9018 for my son's girlfriend's 09 Cobalt we are going to be taking oil changes over on. I had looked it up on the Fram site but the Wally's filter finder was trying to get me to buy something else. I went with the Fram recommendation.

Did I not get the right filter? It sure looks like the one I pulled out and examined that is already in the car (we did not think Iffy Lube had actually changed it).

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
....Did I not get the right filter?

YES. According to Fram look up the CH9018 is the correct/spec cartridge for the 09 Cobalt Ecotec.

Without addressing any of the topic information, the biggest issue with the ecotec application cartridge is anecdotes frequently exhibit a squashed and/or twisted appearance. Pleats sometimes bent at an angle. Seems to run across a broad range of cartridges though no matter maker. The Hengst/ACDelco seemed to be the best, but even some H/ACD anecdotes have shown some of the appearance noted.

That said, you did purchase the correct Fram cartridge application for the Cobalt with ecotec.

ON some GM applications, it's recommended to install filter
in the cap first then install both in the engine.
Slight miss-alignment doing engine first causes the squish.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
ON some GM applications, it's recommended to install filter
in the cap first then install both in the engine.
Slight miss-alignment doing engine first causes the squish.

My 2¢

That's the way I did it
thumbsup2.gif

Sounds good all thanks. The one I checked on was indeed new from Iffy Lube it was not squished at all, it was some Chinese jobber something IIRC.

Good info on the installation...it came out with the cap so I went ahead and put it back in that way so it seems that is the way it should be done. Opposite of the way I do our KIA with a cartridge filter.

I bought a Fram CH9018 for my son's girlfriend's 09 Cobalt we are going to be taking oil changes over on. I had looked it up on the Fram site but the Wally's filter finder was trying to get me to buy something else. I went with the Fram recommendation.

Did I not get the right filter? It sure looks like the one I pulled out and examined that is already in the car (we did not think Iffy Lube had actually changed it).

Do you remember where the CH9018 was made? I know some Fram CH cartridges in the orange boxes are reboxed OEM filters. I've heard of Ultra cartridges failing, including, but not limited to, an XG9018. (The Ultra failures are not connected to the fitting problem with the Ecotec)

Funny thing is TLE has fram cor filters. Except for the Ecotec oil filters. They are the "CH" version. The only one that isnt rebranded.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Do you remember where the CH9018 was made? I know some Fram CH cartridges in the orange boxes are reboxed OEM filters. I've heard of Ultra cartridges failing, including, but not limited to, an XG9018. (The Ultra failures are not connected to the fitting problem with the Ecotec)

I still have it not installed yet, I just looked it says made in China on it. Blech.

It actually looks good to be honest, that's the nice thing about cartridge filters they can't hide a whole lot from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back