Best brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 Fit Sport has 112k miles and still on the orginal front pads and rotors. They still look great. I recall getting about 90k for my 02 Accord V6 front pads as well and replaced them with pads bought from Honda dealership but the replacement only lasted 60k miles. We're easy on brakes as the commute is highway mostly.

What brakes are as durable this OEM? And which brand that may have better bite/stopping power, which is more important to me but I still prefer at least 50k miles range. I am about to get a few things from rockauto and figure I add pads to that as well. I see some go for as low as 5 bucks from Friction Master and 15 bucks for Bendix. Honestly, price is not an object when we are talking that low of a cost. I'll be putting them on myself.

Thanks.

Akebono ProACT is always a good choice. Advics is also good. Wagner Thermoquiet is another popular pad that is good quality. They also have Beck/Arnley OE pads that are the actual OE pads in the original box with a B/A label on them.

I would also recommend rotors that are coated to help stop the rust. Wagner E-shield and Centric Premium are good choices.

Remember to change the brake fluid also. Speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Akebono ProACT is always a good choice. Advics is also good. Wagner Thermoquiet is another popular pad that is good quality. They also have Beck/Arnley OE pads that are the actual OE pads in the original box with a B/A label on them.

I would also recommend rotors that are coated to help stop the rust. Wagner E-shield and Centric Premium are good choices.

smile.gif

Brake fluid get change next December as I do it once every 3 years, which comes out about 65k miles. We're easy on brakes. Good thing the Fit comes with electronic power steering so that is one less things I have to change. ATF change is due in 5k miles when I change the oil filter. Hopefully, I'll be working at my previous location, where they have on-site garage bays for rent at $7 an hr and comes with tools and some help.

Is Bendix any good? What is consider too expensive for brake pads?

+1 on the Akebonos. Wagner OEx are also good if your store has them. Wagners are made by Federated Mogul from what I can see on the boxes. Wagners come with hardware and Akebonos do not so make sure to buy the hardware if you need it.

One more thing. I heard Thermoquiet is a little hard on rotor, is there a rotor that is recommended to be used with Thermoquiet. My buddy will help me put them on so I don't mind paying a little extra for parts as long as I get more life and good performance out of them.

One thing I have been debating, running new pads while on old rotors. Not sure if that is a good idea. My current pads still look good and probably could go another 35k miles or 1.5 year.

Again, I am very easy on brakes as I am cheap on gas. my wife is a little harder but her commute is 95% highway so she doesn't have to use brake much.

Love Hondas. Wish they make truck that is not so expensive.

I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer before progressing onto becoming a UPS semi mechanic.
You may or may not need new rotors.
You have a better chance of a cheaper/successful pad swap without needing new rotors if you change the pads a little early before being complete worn out.
If your going to install new rotors regardless, I suggest you keep driving your FIT until the brake pads are truly worn out.
Akebono is top notch quailty made in the USA.

smile.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: Donald

smile.gif

+1
Russell Speed Bleeders are a good choice. They come with a thread sealant but it goes away after a few years. I use heavy 3M silicone grease around the bleeder to assure air will not get into the brake system when I open the bleeder. Haven't had to ask the war department to help me bleed brakes in years. I remove each wheel to make it easier to get to the calipers and take a week or so to complete the job. Takes about six to eight pints of Valvoline DOT 3/4. Only problem I have is finding a place to dispose of brake fluid, so I have several gallons in the garage looking for a new home.

Akebono is a good choice. I fell in love with Raybestos Advanced Technology and Enhanced Hybrid pads years ago and never looked back - just keep using them with great results. Increased bite, very long wear, quiet and very low dust. I would never use a Wagner Thermoquiet again. They have a rubber backing that the caliper piston WILL bite thru and then noise comes. I put a set on my mom's car and 30k miles later she had noise....the piston pressure tore the rubber backing and made the noise. Not a good design in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back