Sorry for beating a dead horse concerning BC 0w40!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the countless uoas done to verify that Castrol 0w40 is in fact a decent brand name oil, often pruchased at Walmart (the irony). How well is this oil able to resist burnoff. I have tested it in my previous Mk5 GLI and found it, alongside 0w30 GC to be around the same resistance to the 5w40s both Pennzoil Ultra and Castrol 5w40.... I cant afford a Uoa to be done now...But i thought I would ask for members` advice concerning this oil`s Noack volatility, shear stability and other positive characteristics.

Last edited:
I have ran the 0W40 in our old 3800. It had about 7K on the oil when it was vandalized and totaled. The oil was looking great and the car loved it, but those engines are fairly easy on oil unlike your GTI. However, I can't give you much info about the oil. I purchased it at AutoZone during the January clearance this year for $10 per 5 quart jug. At that point I can't be too picky about its performance.

Im using Castrol Edge 0w40 Made in Germany one in my inline 6 mercedes engine. It burned about less than .5 quarts in 8000 miles. I was impressed. I used to use Mobil 1 15w50 or Mobil 1 0w40 and it was burning quickly like a quart in 300 to 400 miles. I constantly had to check the dipstick, which annoyed me as I had no engine leak!

Im impressed with Castrol 0w40 German made oil, but now its Belgium so I havent tested that out yet. My stash is still German made. Also I mix in Castrol Super Car (Made in Austria) 10w60 oil with the 0w40 if I know I am going to super hot regions like Las Vegas. It handled the 118 degree air temp heat no problem. My coolant temp stayed at 82 C the entire time with AC on. I was amazed. Mobil 1 15w50 would have burned off but Castrol mixture did not even move on the dip stick for the entire 1200 mile trip (went to nor cal also). Engine also ran quieter than Mobil 1. Not bad for a 24 year old car with 238,000 miles.

The next oil I want to try is Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 which I have 12 - 5 quart jugs of. Noack is 6% which is lowest of all the name brand oils. I think Castrol is around 8%? I dont remember exactly the number

Last edited:
Castrol 0w40 has to be very good to pass 229.5, A40, LL-01, VW specs, etc., the toughest set of tests for passenger car oils on the planet. Thats all you need to know. It performs.

Both a 0w40 and a 15w50 consumed at same extreme rate? Id put the odds pretty low they are even close on base oil.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Both a 0w40 and a 15w50 consumed at same extreme rate? Id put the odds pretty low they are even close on base oil.

He think he stated the Castrol 0w-40 was consumed at a much lower rate than the Mobil 1 15w-50.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

He think he stated the Castrol 0w-40 was consumed at a much lower rate than the Mobil 1 15w-50.

Yes Bob you are correct.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40... Noack is 6%

Source of this info?

I have a concussion right now but i thought I remembered seeing somewhere on this website. I could be wrong.

love you guys...thanks for taking the time to share your experiences...i still have research to do...if i am not mistaken... bc 0w40 is the same as german castrol 0w40...so...here it goes...the Fuley plant..owned by Ineos oligomers, is the largest oliphen blending plant in the world responsible for making performance synthetic lubrication...Guess what...Ineos is partnered with BP as a combined business.. Ineos bought BP,s Innovene division in 2005 to become a "combined business." Now, considering that BP owns Castrol, that Castrol 0w40 is sourced from Belgium and further considering the fact that Ineos, partnered with BP, has its Fule plant, its oliphen blending plant located south from Brussels Belgium, it possib,e to say that Castrol 0w40 is being sourced from that plant..which means it could have PAO group IV base stocks enabling it to perform as well as it does in a number of applications!? There is another Pao blending plant located in Germany as well...and considering that the 0w30 and 0w40 castrol has switched production between Belgium and Germany, where the pao plants are located, twice bewteen each other as products?

look at previous comment...there should be good Uoas for Bc castrol too...formulations would have to be similar in order for it to perform as well as it does.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MichaelDCRogers
love you guys...thanks for taking the time to share your experiences...i still have research to do...if i am not mistaken... bc 0w40 is the same as german castrol 0w40...so...here it goes...the Fuley plant..owned by Ineos oligomers, is the largest oliphen blending plant in the world responsible for making performance synthetic lubrication...Guess what...Ineos is partnered with BP as a combined business.. Ineos bought BP,s Innovene division in 2005 to become a "combined business." Now, considering that BP owns Castrol, that Castrol 0w40 is sourced from Belgium and further considering the fact that Ineos, partnered with BP, has its Fule plant, its oliphen blending plant located south from Brussels Belgium, it possib,e to say that Castrol 0w40 is being sourced from that plant..which means it could have PAO group IV base stocks enabling it to perform as well as it does in a number of applications!? There is another Pao blending plant located in Germany as well...and considering that the 0w30 and 0w40 castrol has switched production between Belgium and Germany, where the pao plants are located, twice bewteen each other as products?

Given how low its pour point is, I would say Edge 0w40 definitely has PAO in it.

Can anyone from Oz verify this is current on the shelf M1 - I noticed the BMW being back with other German OEM's:

overall. i,d say its good for all intensive purposes... castrol and mobil 1 0w40 both get decent uoas depending upon circumstance...0w40 with mobil 1 synthetic 15w50 was a good idea btw!!!referencing previous post on this thread!!!

Last edited:
Can anyone from Oz verify this is current on the shelf M1 - I noticed the BMW being back with other German OEM's:

That is old batch. Rest of the world still uses VISOM based 0W40.

Source of this info?

I have a concussion right now but i thought I remembered seeing somewhere on this website. I could be wrong.

You could read that maybe Mobil1 5W30 ESP has 5.8%.
6% NOACK for 0W40 is extremely low, and I yet to see 0W40 with such NOACK. Even Redline 0W40 is around 9%, and old VISOM M1 0W40 was 8.7%.
Considering that Pennzoil 5W30 Euro L is 11% (some PDS state that) if it is same base oil, it is hard to imagine 0W40 to be anywhere below 9%.

Given the countless uoas done to verify that Castrol 0w40 is in fact a decent brand name oil, often pruchased at Walmart (the irony). How well is this oil able to resist burnoff. I have tested it in my previous Mk5 GLI and found it, alongside 0w30 GC to be around the same resistance to the 5w40s both Pennzoil Ultra and Castrol 5w40.... I cant afford a Uoa to be done now...But i thought I would ask for members` advice concerning this oil`s Noack volatility, shear stability and other positive characteristics.

Castrol 0W40 is way better oil then Castrol 5W40.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Source of this info?

You could read that maybe Mobil1 5W30 ESP has 5.8%.
6% NOACK for 0W40 is extremely low, and I yet to see 0W40 with such NOACK. Even Redline 0W40 is around 9%, and old VISOM M1 0W40 was 8.7%.
Considering that Pennzoil 5W30 Euro L is 11% (some PDS state that) if it is same base oil, it is hard to imagine 0W40 to be anywhere below 9%.

Quattro Pete posted this in another thread regarding Pennzoil Euro:
For the 5w40:
HT/HS: 3.6 cP
Noack: 6.2%

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Castrol 0W40 is way better oil then Castrol 5W40.

Agreed. Just look at the pour points of each
shocked.gif
Not to mention 5W-40s lack of top-level OEM approvals.

Given how low its pour point is, I would say Edge 0w40 definitely has PAO in it.

Also, a quick look at the SDS for 0W-40 would show it is a PAO basestock oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back