oil for 2009 Volvo XC 70 32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking what is the factory recommended motor oil for this vehicle?
I do not have an owners manual for guidance on this recently purchased pre-owned vehicle.
Thank you for any information.

I've run Castrol Edge 0W-40 oil in my S80 (same engine as yours) with good success (218K miles). Does not use/leak oil.
You will need between 7 and 8 quarts of oil (with filter change) and can best be purchased in 5qt jugs at Walmart for ~$23/jug.

Here is the owners manual for your 2009 XC70
smile.gif

On page 273 is where you find the oil recommendations. 0w30 or 5w30 or 0w40, and either API SL, ACEA A1/B1, and/or ILSAC GF-4. M1 AFE would be a great choice for your car, as would Castrol Edge 0w30 or 0w40.

It takes 8 quarts
crazy2.gif

For the filter, get the Mann HU 925/4Y

Most Volvo engines, including yours, benefit from a long drain interval oil - an ACEA A3/B4 for example. The Achilles Heel of Volvo inclines of your vintage is the "Flame Trap" or PCV system. It's complex, with lots of oil passages, some of which are heated to help prevent the accumulation of sludge.

But despite the heating, sludge still happens. Your best defense is either a long drain (stronger TBN) oil or to shorten the OCI.... if the system sludges up, you'll start getting leaks. Left unchecked, with excess crankcase pressure due to a plugged up,PCV system, many engines will blow a camshaft seal, requiring a new timing belt, and seals (about $600) in addition to the replacement of all the PCV components (another $600+).

Ask me how I know...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Most Volvo engines, including yours, benefit from a long drain interval oil - an ACEA A3/B4 for example. The Achilles Heel of Volvo inclines of your vintage is the "Flame Trap" or PCV system. It's complex, with lots of oil passages, some of which are heated to help prevent the accumulation of sludge.

But despite the heating, sludge still happens. Your best defense is either a long drain (stronger TBN) oil or to shorten the OCI.... if the system sludges up, you'll start getting leaks. Left unchecked, with excess crankcase pressure due to a plugged up,PCV system, many engines will blow a camshaft seal, requiring a new timing belt, and seals (about $600) in addition to the replacement of all the PCV components (another $600+).

Ask me how I know...

I agree with Astro14. I choose to run a shorter interval in the V70 due to short trips. My OCI is 4K.

Sam

Originally Posted By: Astro14

My '01 V70XC blew the front cam seal a year after replacing all of the PCV components. Go figure...

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Is the op's engine a non turbo 3.2 liter with direct injection ?

Non-turbo with standard port injection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back