Jeep Compass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor bought a 2016 Grand Cherokee and I took him to the dealer to pick it up from service. It loses power unexpectedly. Anyway the salesman there saw my Explorer and said, its a nice truck, but don't you think it is time for something else?
So we talked and I asked for their best value and most reliable.
He suggested the Compass Latitude, he said it has great gas mileage and is very high quality. He said with the trade I can get a fully loaded one for around 25K. They took a quick look at my Explorer on the lift and test drove it, and they gave me some numbers.

It has a 2.4 Tigershark engine. I tried it and I wasn't that impressed with power(loud, I think the Explorer has more torque, I have 4.10s), but it seemed quite nice inside. The salesman said to try it without A/C, seemed a bit peppier. It had 4wd low.

I did a bit of research and they kinda hint with this they are oilburners: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0900715.pdf

Says anything over 3000RPM could consume 1qt every 750. None of the cars I drive really burn oil (some seal sweating on some, but they are far from new and I'm aware of it).
I drive over 3000RPM all the time.

Probably not going to buy it, but are these good vehicles?

Bad trade IMO, but if you're tired of 16 MPG and a 21 year old truck, it would be a change. Do not expect 2 decades out of a Compass.

Personally...not in a million years. The Explorer would have to have rust half way up the pillars...and then I'd replace it with another Explorer or Ranger.

I think Compasses are "meh" at best. Good fuel economy..... That's about it. Lol

Would rather go for a RAV4 if looking for a fuel efficient compact SUV.

Myself, I like my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.9L
smile.gif

I really like the new ones, old ones are ok. I'd also look at a Cherokee to get a 3.2 V6. Mines been a good Jeep so far.

There are much better options than the Compass in the small suv segment. CR-V , Rav-4 , Tucson and Sportage are a few worth looking at.

I wouldn't do it either. I personally have not been impressed with newer jeeps. Family has had several Wrangler's from the 90s that we drove till they completely rusted/fell apart. Several co-workers now with newer GC's or jeep patriots that have had nothing but problems with them.

It is the only cute ute or even mid size SUV (except 4runner)left with a low range, so if you want that and like the rest of the car well enough I guess it will be fine. I don't know about the oil burning tsb, but unless you are going 85mph everywhere I doubt it will be over 3k rpm on the highway.
Probably its best to buy a used one, as everyone thinks they are junk for some reason and resale reflects it.

They don't make cars like they used to, and they don't make Fiats like they make Fords.

Even if price was no object, I would buy your Explorer from you before I would buy a new Compass.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: ford46guy

Few things FCA makes would be considered "good" vehicles. Reliability ratings don't lie. Jeep is bottom of the barrel.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Few things FCA makes would be considered "good" vehicles. Reliability ratings don't lie. Jeep is bottom of the barrel.

I guess I'd be fond of the 90's Jeeps... Cherokees and Wranglers with the AMC 4.0, Grand Cherokees with the 4.0 as well as the 5.2 and 5.9 Magnums. Cherokess AW4 transmission seems to be as robust as a stock transmission out there. The Magnum series engines had a weird plenum-plate issue and some of the transmissions weren't exactly reliable in stock form though.

Nowadays, I've no idea about their reliability. Perhaps the Hellcat variations of the Grand Cherokees would be reliable? But even if I had the money, $84k MSRP... Nope! Not happening. Lol

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

My mom has a 2012 Patriot base model (same as Compass, different skin), has an extended warranty. Oil pan and timing chain cover gaskets were leaking, replaced gaskets under warranty. CVT had a loud whine, dealer thought it was the alternator so they replaced that, didn't solve the issue. Had CVT flushed and that solved the whine, for now. A/C went out, got a new compressor. Suspension squeaked over bumps, got new struts and strut mounts, lower control arm bushings were tearing so they replaced the control arms too. Blend door motor was rapidly clicking, just had that replaced. Red lightning bolt came on the dash this month and loss of power, had throttle body replaced. They also found the a/c was leaking from a service port, replaced valve and recharged a/c.

Rear suspension creaks too, I will look it over before the warranty expires this next spring.

I realize Consumer Reports is toxic around here but FYI the Compass is last place with an overall rating of 47 (perfect score 100) with every other cute ute in the 70s except the Mitsi Outlander.... and other Jeeps. Might want to do some research.

Tigershark makes a lot of noise, doesn't do much.
Mine consistantly uses a quart of 0w20 every 3000 miles.
Just for grins, I ran a 30 weight once. Guess what. No consumption in 10k.
Still made a lot of noise, no guts.

My neighbor bought a 2016 Grand Cherokee and I took him to the dealer to pick it up from service. It loses power unexpectedly. Anyway the salesman there saw my Explorer and said, its a nice truck, but don't you think it is time for something else?
So we talked and I asked for their best value and most reliable.
He suggested the Compass Latitude, he said it has great gas mileage and is very high quality. He said with the trade I can get a fully loaded one for around 25K. They took a quick look at my Explorer on the lift and test drove it, and they gave me some numbers.

It has a 2.4 Tigershark engine. I tried it and I wasn't that impressed with power(loud, I think the Explorer has more torque, I have 4.10s), but it seemed quite nice inside. The salesman said to try it without A/C, seemed a bit peppier. It had 4wd low.

I did a bit of research and they kinda hint with this they are oilburners: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0900715.pdf

Says anything over 3000RPM could consume 1qt every 750. None of the cars I drive really burn oil (some seal sweating on some, but they are far from new and I'm aware of it).
I drive over 3000RPM all the time.

I'll put it this way........
If you want to make a salesperson happy and make yourself miserable, go for it!

Originally Posted By: Thax
There are much better options than the Compass in the small suv segment. CR-V , Rav-4 , Tucson and Sportage are a few worth looking at.

Don't forget Mazda CX-5 and several Subarus.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Thax

Don't forget Mazda CX-5 and several Subarus.

Also Ford Escape with the ecoboost or a Chevy equinox. Run from the jeep. If you're in the market for that type of vehicle there are plenty that are much better.

The newly redesigned Compass is very much an apples to oranges comparison to a ~22yr/old Ford Exploder. Pretty much the same for any of the recommendations given in this thread. Doubtful any of them will last over 20yrs. I guess just figure out what's most important to you and get what you like. I personally find the previous generation Compass and Patriot fine for what they are. I know folks who own them and have not had bad experiences at all. There sure are tons of them on the road.

Last edited:
I would never reccomend a jeep As they are generally not reliable. That Being Said, I Would consider purchasing A Cherokee With The Pentastar Or A C With A Hemi. But A Compass? No.

If you can negotiate a decent lease deal, and not have to be stuck with one off-warranty later, then I'd say go for it. http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-lease-calculator.aspx to help you make sure the dealer gives you a good deal. Check TrueCar.com price to find out what one goes for typically. If you can beat $250 per month, zero down, 36 months, then it would be a decent deal. Check the calculator web page for variations on that deal to be sure.

The Compass is based on a Fiat platform, like the current Renegade and Fiat 500X, and is now made in Mexico unlike the former U.S.-made Compasses. This is not the same vehicle as the old Patriot was.
I personally like the new '18 Equinox ( https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4519647/1 ), although there are many choices around this size of vehicle. Kia and Hyundai have long warranties if you buy. I don't think you can go too wrong on any of them. I value handling & steering, so the Equinox wins that.

New Compass looks nice and is nothing like the previous generation. Previous one was based off the Mitsubishi Lancer.

A few points -

Anyone with the name ford46guy can't buy a Jeep. Find something with the blue oval on it!

I bought my Jeep because it was RWD and Tahoe/Yukon was too big.

2018 GMC Terrain looks great and would be my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back