Help me pick atf, transfer case, and diff fluid

Gonna do a fluid change on my truck. Truck is a 2012 Ford F250. Ford recommends Mercon LV for the transmission, Motorcraft transfer case fluid, and 75W140 for the rear axle and 80w90 for the front but I'll probably use 75w90. Here is my dilemma, I live in Canada and its already getting to freezing temperatures at night and only a couple degrees above during the day and we're still in September! So I want synthetic for everything, the best performance and protection for cold weather, and for towing in the summer time. Do I really need special transfer case fluid? It an NV 271 transfer case. What fluids do you guys recommend??

Last edited:
For the transmission, Maxlife or any other LV multi ATF. Many of them are licensed Mercon LV, formally approved by Ford.

Personally, I'd use a licensed Mercon LV trans fluid (I'd probably just buy the Motorcraft), Motorcraft XL-12 transfer case fluid, and whatever synthetic diff fluid I could find locally (probably M1).

I would absolutely avoid any "suitable for" multi-vehicle ATF and transfer case fluids that didn't have explicit licensing.

Ford is quite explicit with their assertion that Mercon V and LV are not suitable for use in a transfer case. Could an older Mercon product be suitable? Maybe Dexron III? It's your transfer case if you'd like to find out. If it were mine, I'd stick with what Ford says is ok.

I run Amsoil in everything but my T-case for my Silverado. SVG 7590 front SVG 75110 in rear and Torque Drive in the trans.

Thanks guys. I was thinking of drinking the Amsoil kool aid but didnt know if it was actually worth the premium price over oem/others.

Originally Posted By: Randy_270
Thanks guys. I was thinking of drinking the Amsoil kool aid but didnt know if it was actually worth the premium price over oem/others.
It definitely is and is arguably the best gear oil in the market today. It is easily a 100K+ oil even with towing. I recommend you run 75W-110 in the front axle. It is the viscosity the upper range of 75W-90 used to be before they updated the J306 tables. If you get a preferred Amsoil account (hit Pablo up here about it), the cost is comparable with other premium synthetics.

Originally Posted By: Randy_270

You won’t be making a mistake. 50 k minimum

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Personally, I'd use a licensed Mercon LV trans fluid (I'd probably just buy the Motorcraft), Motorcraft XL-12 transfer case fluid, and whatever synthetic diff fluid I could find locally (probably M1).

I would absolutely avoid any "suitable for" multi-vehicle ATF and transfer case fluids that didn't have explicit licensing.

Ford is quite explicit with their assertion that Mercon V and LV are not suitable for use in a transfer case. Could an older Mercon product be suitable? Maybe Dexron III? It's your transfer case if you'd like to find out. If it were mine, I'd stick with what Ford says is ok.

+1. Ford fluid for at and transfer case, amsoil svg for the two diffs.

I'd use the Ford recommended fluids for the trans and transfer case and Mobil 1 gear oil for the differentials, which is what I use. I have heard good things about the Amsoil gear oils as well.

For stuff like this that doesn't have to be changed very often, I use Amsoil. I especially like their 75w-110 Severe Gear. I think that would be ideal for at least the rear diff in your application, due to ambient temps in Canada, unless you work it extremely hard.

Amsoil is premiere! Especially their gear oil and transfer case GL-4 oil. Pablo (Amsoil Rep) on these forums is a pleasure to deal with and very knowledgeable. I'm starting to look at Schaeffer's Oil right now. But, I really like Amsoil in my rig.

Respectfully,

Pajero

In my area Amsoil gear oils are the cheaper priced stuff. Makes it an absolute no brainer for me
grin.gif

I would use maxlife ATF for the trans, mercon TC fluid, and whatever 75w140 and 75w90 syn u like best (I like Delo for $6 / qt)

Has anyone used Penzoil Ultra lv atf?? It says that it meets Ford's Mercon LV requirements but I can't find any specs on it (pour point, flash point, VI, ect.)

Check out the Amsoil specs for those items, and the written guarantee, but notice the disclaimer about "severe service" and "normal use".

Now Ford explicitly calls for Mercon LV now that XL-12 is no longer made. Go figure. :/

Back