05 Accord filter guidance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After spending time between here browsing the forum, I have came to my senses that it's time to change my own oil instead of letting the jiffy lube doing it. Here is where I need help. I went to Walmart and napa looking for filters. My Napa didn't have the gold but had proselect (27356) and notice it was small compared to the OEM A01 and A02. Wal mart had the TG7317 and the the mobil M1-110A both was smaller comprared to the OEM. I didn't buy because I was hesitant. Please steer me in the right direction. Is this the normal size now? Is their a bigger size filter for a 05 Accord(2.4L) besides the OEM?

The Jiffy Lube filter you will (try to) remove will be even smaller than the 7356/7317 because they consolidate to the shorty 1358/6607, and it will be TOUGH to remove since it's on so tight! You will need a hammer and screwdriver to take it off, and even then, it will take awhile.

That said, the Wix 57356 and Fram 7317-size cans will be just fine for your Honda. Remember, the OEM Honda filter from the dealer is a Fram, almost identical to the new PH7317 with a silicone ADBV (Fram started using silicone in the orange cans a few months ago, and they're already on the shelf)

The TG7317 will have better media than the PH7317/A02

For any car taking this size filter, I do not recommend Wix, except the XP/Platinum. The regular Wix/Napa Gold and the lower Wixes (like Napa Silver and ST) simply do not have enough media. The bypass design severely limits the size of the actual media, so if you like Wix, use the XP (which still has the dinky media, but at least the wire-backed synthetic will last a long time)

A TG7317 or XG7317 is perfect for your car.

The 7317 size (and equivalents) is the correct/spec size. For the Hondas I maintain the Napa Gold 7356 (same as Wix 57356) is an excellent choice IME. Plenty of media area, thread end bypass, silicone adbv (like oem) and can be purchased on sale for Napa Gold 5/7356.

My other choice especially for two ocis would be the XG7317

As an aside, had several 7356 post use dissection anecdotes that confirm prior info but photobucket money grab wiped them out.

I have a 2006 accord 2.4 4 cylinder.
Over the last 60K miles, I have used the following:

DENSO (possibly part number 1502006 . I can't remember part number at this point)
A Purolator PureOne (old style yellow can that you can't get anymore.)
Fram TG7317

With all the above, the physical size of the cans were all about the same.
I never encountered any issues with any of the above.

My current stash includes one M1-110A and a few Fram XG7317s.
I will probably stick with either TG7317 or XG7317 going forward. Never tried an OEM filter only because I rarely go to the dealer
and when I do, I seem to already have a small stash of filters at home.

When we first got this car (with 40K on it) I was a bit shocked at the size of the filter as it was much smaller than any filter for any previous car I owned. My other cars (Toyota Sienna and volvo s70) have filters at least 2x-4x the size of the one on the accord.
My old 97 VW jetta TDI had a filter the size of a coffee can. The Fram xx7317 series does look so tiny in comparison.

-A

Last edited:
I really preciate the feedback guys. Very much helpful.

@Sayjac - usually when is Napla's semi annual sell?

Originally Posted By: Will32283
... @Sayjac - usually when is Napa's semi annual sale?

In this area, they are in the spring and fall. However since most Napas are privately owned the specific dates can vary, and not all participate. 'Flowers Family' franchised stores in NC and Va have been in the spring and fall. If pattern follows perhaps next month will be their Napa Gold Sale. If you have some stores in your area and are driving by, or call, ask if they are having the sale.

Originally Posted By: amblerman
I have a 2006 accord 2.4 4 cylinder.
Over the last 60K miles, I have used the following:

DENSO (possibly part number 1502006 . I can't remember part number at this point)
A Purolator PureOne (old style yellow can that you can't get anymore.)
Fram TG7317

With all the above, the physical size of the cans were all about the same.
I never encountered any issues with any of the above.

My current stash includes one M1-110A and a few Fram XG7317s.
I will probably stick with either TG7317 or XG7317 going forward. Never tried an OEM filter only because I rarely go to the dealer
and when I do, I seem to already have a small stash of filters at home.

When we first got this car (with 40K on it) I was a bit shocked at the size of the filter as it was much smaller than any filter for any previous car I owned. My other cars (Toyota Sienna and volvo s70) have filters at least 2x-4x the size of the one on the accord.
My old 97 VW jetta TDI had a filter the size of a coffee can. The Fram xx7317 series does look so tiny in comparison.

-A

Fun fact: My friends 12 hp garden tractor takes the exact same filter as a modern Honda/Acura. Considering how long modern Honda engines last, I don't think it is a problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back