Chevy refused a test drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
These bash dealer threads keep on giving. Gee....the last one was only six pages!

Ok, so back to the original post.
So, when he declined the test drive, you should have said "Are you refusing a trip? Are you refusing the trip??? Ok, you are now OOPs.. out of position, you'll be contacted by your chief pilot very shortly. Have a better day."

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Ok, so back to the original post.
So, when he declined the test drive, you should have said "Are you refusing a trip? Are you refusing the trip??? Ok, you are now OOPs.. out of position, you'll be contacted by your chief pilot very shortly. Have a better day."

huh?

I'm not following this at all...

Look, if I was interested in a car, and they declined a test drive, I would just walk out...and find a dealer that was interested in my business.

A few years back, I walked out of a Toyota dealer (which I will keep nameless) after getting the usual [censored], high-pressure pitch, which included a sales price several thousand over our internet discussion. The salesman became agitated and made a few accusations like the salesman in the OP's post. I told him, quite calmly, that if he met our price (which I wrote down for him on the paperwork, and was identical to the price I had already discussed at Charles Barker, the good guys in this), we would buy the car that day. He told me that there was no way, and made some more, frankly, insulting comments.

I excused myself to the bathroom, called the salesman at Charles Barker Toyota (previously mentioned, in this post and others, excellent dealer) and told him he had the sale at our discussed price.

I then asked to speak to the manager of the nameless dealer. He asked "what can we do to make the sale", and I explained, briefly, calmly, how he had lost the sale, and told him that we were leaving to buy the car at Barker.

Don't know what happened after that.

Don't really care.

Last edited:
Late to this thread, didn't read it all...

I have to say there are YouTube videos of idiots that do joyride, just to jerk a sales guy around and thrash a new car just for fun. (Definitely NOT implying anything about the OP). In this day and age no one can really be trusted anymore, you never know who is up to what.

Also, the thought crossed my mind, how many potential buyers will hold a few extra miles on a new vehicle as a bargaining chip? When would you want a discount? 20 miles, 50 miles 100 miles, 200 miles? When does it matter?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
All of you guys talking about bargaining power and fair treatment are ignoring the fact that the OP told the salesman, up front and plainly, that he had no intention of buying the truck.

Ever.

So, why should the salesman let him drive it?

Seems reasonable that wear & tear on their demo vehicle, not to mention their salesman's time, should be for potential buyers. Neither the time or wear are free...

I agree 100%.

Story Time: For the record, I bought my last Chevy duramax without seeing it or testing driving it. The sales guy (same dealership) got agitated when I refused his extras like paint protection.

He took me to the doc guy, who asked if I am going to finance it, I had my check book out already. I asked him if he made any money, he was honest and said yes, he made a $400 commission for originating the loan. I said fine let's do it.
The loan guy commented that I have great credit, I said yeah I know.

Basically I took the loan so the loan guy could make a few bucks, I paid 3 installments and then paid it off.

Back on topic:
The sales guys attitude if of concern. But he is not at fault, he is following direction from higher up. I fault chevy, after all it is chevy dealership.

Appearances, lol, I will put on some makeup next time.

Being nice does not cost anything. He could have said no and end it there.

Sounds like it was my fault the sale guys was rude and refused the test drive.

Wasn't even titled "Chevy dealer" - no complaints about mine - small town and the same competent staff forever...

You need to learn to play the game and simply throw it back them and state for the right deal I will buy today. They don't need to know what the right price for you. You failed at that.

That all being said they don't need to yell at you wasting their time. I have had this happen before too and it is obnoxious.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
You need to learn to play the game and simply throw it back them and state for the right deal I will buy today. They don't need to know what the right price for you. You failed at that..

Thats bad advice. They very well might ask "what the right price is?". It would be pretty awkward to say 30K for a 60K truck... You might really get some ill will then, understandably.

Don't play games. They can backfire.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: madRiver
You need to learn to play the game and simply throw it back them and state for the right deal I will buy today. They don't need to know what the right price for you. You failed at that..

Thats bad advice. They very well might ask "what the right price is?". It would be pretty awkward to say 30K for a 60K truck... You might really get some ill will then, understandably.

Don't play games. They can backfire.

Well
if you can't talk your way out of avoiding answering the 2nd question then you are pretty much the same game player as answering No to the first question. As far as backfiring, you didn't have anything to lose, are you imagining you're going to get blacklisted at the dealer if you didn't have a pleasant conversation?

Let's be honest, all the sales in a modern dealership are getting replaced by computerized systems anyway. Any dealership that hasn't embraced the internet and depending on walk-ups is doomed. Any salesman also depending on walkups is doomed.
Get with the times, you have to spend a minimal amount of effort to plan ahead, jump on your computer and send in inquiries and make appointments. That is the method to demonstrate interest, and you can get all the test drives you want that way.
I tried to make the analogy to Flights and airlines which is pretty much the same technological change, but it may have been a bit obscure
People do not show up at the airport and buy tickets anymore, you should treat car shopping the same way.

Last edited:
I explained the same thing to several dealers when I was looking to buy a new mower. If you won't let me turn the blades on and cut with it then I'm not buying. So guess who got my $8000? Yup the dealer who let me test drive and cut grass.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

Well
if you can't talk your way out of avoiding answering the 2nd question then you are pretty much the same game player as answering No to the first question. As far as backfiring, you didn't have anything to lose, are you imagining you're going to get blacklisted at the dealer if you didn't have a pleasant conversation?

I guess I am old school. I live an open and honest life, and I don't play games with anyone. I treat them the way I want to be treated. That way I never have even be concerned about "talking your way out of or avoiding" anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back