The richest woman on earth drives a

Status
Not open for further replies.
She drives that so she can toss her beer cans in the back.

I read an article several years ago, most of the 1% in the US drive accords/camry's/odyssey/sienna. Its the "show-off" crowd that drives the several hundred thousand dollar cars honestly. The ultra-rich in general probably realize that a car is a depreciating asset, unfortunately the majority of the country does not, hence most of my middle-class neighbors drive $60K SUV's and then complain that gas is >$2.50 a gallon!

Warren Buffet, at the time I read the article used to drive an older Caddy sedan and go to Mcdonalds for breakfast.

Last edited:
Most of the wealthy people I know, you would not know they are by what they drive.

One millionaire I know, owns two houses on the water, several boats he keep docked, has a high paying job, and owns several successful side businesses. Yet drove a mid-90's Grand Marquis until it [censored] out. So he bought... wait for it... a 5 yrs old Dodge.

I guess weathy people have money because they don't spend it all on stupid things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Warren Buffet, at the time I read the article used to drive an older Caddy sedan and go to Mcdonalds for breakfast.

I think he had a 2006 Caddy and he traded it in in 2014 for a newer model. He still goes to McDonalds for breakfast and drink cherry coke.

My folks lived just north of Bentonville for several years and Sam Walton was known to drive into town for a haircut in a truck that was much more vintage than that F-150. I'd assume the apple or applet wouldn't fall far from the tree.

Apparently, Alice Walton just became the richest woman in the world the other day when the L'Oreal heiress died.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I read an article several years ago, most of the 1% in the US drive accords/camry's/odyssey/sienna. Its the "show-off" crowd that drives the several hundred thousand dollar cars honestly. The ultra-rich in general probably realize that a car is a depreciating asset, unfortunately the majority of the country does not, hence most of my middle-class neighbors drive $60K SUV's and then complain that gas is >$2.50 a gallon!

Don't get me started on this fact of life. The amount of folks who buy over priced cars with huge payment and insurance requirements, but complain and pontificate about $2.50 gas and $6 quarts of oil is mind numbing...

I blame the "watch your pennies, because the dollars will take of the themselves" ideologically. Pennies won't take you to bankruptcy court, but dollars sure as heck will.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
2006 Ford F150 King Ranch. Alice Walton, heiress to the Wal-Mart fortune.

Not to be nitpicky (but I will), that is an '01-03 F150.
The pic is of a rare one though, most all King Ranch trucks in that timeframe are supercrew models (4 full doors), this one is a super cab.

As mentioned, Sam drove an old truck as well.

It's 4x4 and it will likely protect her in a crash with anything but a Peterbuilt ... It'll haul the dogs, the boat, the hay for the horses, whatever. Roomy, fairly quiet and she can see over most folks, all good things.

I bought exactly one new car in my life. Hated the payments. Wife is same way. We pay cash and we buy at 100,000 miles (give or take) so we get the least hit on depreciation. And we drive them till the wheels fall off.

Rather spend money on maintenance by supporting local shop(s) than a distant corporation ... I'll do upholstery or a suspension rebuild at 150K (if needed) because I know it's going to run to 300K
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ATex7239
Most of the wealthy people I know, you would not know they are by what they drive.

One millionaire I know, owns two houses on the water, several boats he keep docked, has a high paying job, and owns several successful side businesses. Yet drove a mid-90's Grand Marquis until it [censored] out. So he bought... wait for it... a 5 yrs old Dodge.

I guess weathy people have money because they don't spend it all on stupid things.

When are boats are a good investment?

These are just the vehicles we hear about. Sometimes chauffeurs prefer to not be a party to some activities and or the affluent person may want some privacy for their activities.

I changed my car buying habits because cars changed. I used to trade every 4-5 years but cars last longer now so I buy new and keep it 15+ years or till it starts giving me serious repair bills.
I don't put alot of miles on because I have a company vehicle and my wife works fairly close to home but if I was a millionaire, I really don't think my car buying would change or types drastically and probably still change my own oil.

Originally Posted By: 555
Originally Posted By: ATex7239

When are boats are a good investment?

Classic Vintage. Forgot to add that part

There's a big difference between old money and new money. New money wants everybody to know they're rich. Old money couldn't care less.

The extra space behind the seats is great for storing rifles, shotguns, and rations in case of zombie attack. The lack of a double double makes it easier for girls to toss beer cans into the bed w/out much effort from the wrist or fingers. But honestly, she would be better off with a Honda Ridgeline as the hidden truck is great for storing a safe should quick exit is necessary.

You're welcome Honda, I just made your Pilot the great truck the uber riches to stay low profile. Now make the single cab bench seat version for creep old men to own.

Some people think no more of a car than others would think of a washer and dryer in the garage. It's just an appliance that happens to move and one operates it from the inside. It even tells them when it's time for service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back