To Glove or not to Glove. That is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never wear gloves when doing repairs. I guess I prefer blood and filthy hands that make me feel like a man!
How about you?
Mechanics gloves
Disposable gloves
Bare skin

Last edited:
Mechanics gloves for rust or sharp stuff, Nitrile for chemicals.
Oils and chemicals go right thru your skin and bloodstream. It is not just dirt.
Scratches from rust could cause blood poisoning or serious infections.

Not worth the risk.

I always use nitrile gloves. They don't add bulk so you still have dexterity and I don't care to have my hands smell like old motor oil or transmission fluid the rest of the day.

My shop supplies gloves. I use the diamond grip gloves for working on regular jobs. Then i use the cheap thin gloves for oil changes at work.

Nitrile gloves. All the time. Every time.

Used oil is carcinogenic, as well as being difficult to get out from under my nails, so I prefer to minimize the exposure.

Nearly every day that I am home, my hands are in some woodworking finish, gun solvent, automotive fluid (clean or dirty) and none of that stuff is good for you with chronic exposure. I'm not about to give up my hobbies or interests, so nitrile it is...

never have been able to do anything with gloves. Have only been doing auto and OPE repairs since 1964, so don't know if there will be any long time problems. I am retired now, so only doing my own repairs. I keep my tetnus shots up to date.

I'm usually bare handed. If I did it for a living, I'd wear gloves.

I use disposable rubber gloves when I think about it. Sometimes I'll do something real messy and think, "why didn't I put my gloves on!?". I'm an idiot sometimes I guess.

I love not having to scrub my hands after working on an oily car doing wheel bearings or an oil change.

Disposable gloves whenever oil/fluids/chemicals are involved because used oil is very unsafe!

For other jobs, either disposable or the mechanix gloves, depending on the job.

I use nitrile gloves for oil changes and saran wrap on my arm when changing the filter. I still feel like a man.

last few years I began wearing nitrile for for oil changes and other work that gets me in contact with chemicals. I bought some mechanic gloves for heavier work so I can minimize the damage I do to my hands. I dont care if I feel like a man or not, I have nothing to prove to anyone. I prefer the use of my hands and if I can minimize the risk of cancer later in my life I think that is a win.

Nitrile or mechanics gloves. Clean hands help my state of mind when working- never mind the safety aspects.

I started using nitrile gloves in the last year or so. Saves running into the house to wash if I need to touch something that shouldn't be oily/dirty.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I never wear gloves when doing repairs. I guess I prefer blood and filthy hands that make me feel like a man!
How about you?
Mechanics gloves
Disposable gloves
Bare skin

Always gloves when working with gasoline, lubes, grease, grime, etc...

Many mechanics have health problems late on in life because bare hands absorbed all the nasty chemicals they handled.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
No gloves, unless the weather is cold.

+1
cool.gif

I wear disposable gloves for working with fluids and mechanics gloves for wrenching. I like to keep the chemicals etc off my hands whenever possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back