SOPUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that SOPUS owns Shell, Pennzoil, Quaker State, and I may be leaving someone out? My question is are all there brands of oil packaged in the same factory? Say Monday through Wednesday they fill 3,500 quarts of QS then Thursday through Friday 2,000 quarts of Formula Shell etc, etc. or are all there brands filled in there own factories?

Or are the recipes the same for each oil. They do appear to be different, but it seems like they could save testing money if they use just one SN GF-5 GroupII formula for all, one dexos1 Gen2 GroupII/III oil, etc., I.E, QSUD should be the same as PPPP.
Product differentiation is via additives, not the base oil, in all likelihood, consolidating the base oil supply lines for all, and this would make it easier to use the same blending machines for different SOPUS motor oils.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the consumer stuff is made by third party contractors in various locations.

Yeah, I hauled out of Shell Martinez back in the day. Never saw a bob-tail in there loading cases or jugs... Some 55 gallon drums on loading docks.

Not saying there was not another part of the refinery I never saw that might have a bottling plant ...
12.gif

But I have the distinct impression that bottling is done centrally in a batch plant ...

Last edited:
I think you'll find the Oil giant all comes under the Royal Dutch Shell Organization.

Quote:
Pennzoil-Quaker was purchased by Royal Dutch/Shell Group to form SOPUS—Shell Oil Products US.

In direct answer to your question

Only Pennzoil and Shell branded oils use GTL base stocks at this stage. Take a look at the location/country of manufacture. In Aus, Shell Helix Ultra products come from at least 3 different places (Hong Kong (5W40 5L,) Thailand (5W50 1L,) and Europe for the rest. Despite the original base stock coming solely from the Peal facility. Obviously PP and PUP products are also using GTL form Pearl, but since they're North American only, I'm not familiar with there place of manufacture. Some of their euro-class oils may indeed be made in Europe, but you'll have to look on the bottle.

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
I think you'll find the Oil giant all comes under the Royal Dutch Shell Organization.

Quote:
Pennzoil-Quaker was purchased by Royal Dutch/Shell Group to form SOPUS—Shell Oil Products US.

In direct answer to your question

Only Pennzoil and Shell branded oils use GTL base stocks at this stage. Take a look at the location/country of manufacture. In Aus, Shell Helix Ultra products come from at least 3 different places (Hong Kong (5W40 5L,) Thailand (5W50 1L,) and Europe for the rest. Despite the original base stock coming solely from the Peal facility. Obviously PP and PUP products are also using GTL form Pearl, but since they're North American only, I'm not familiar with there place of manufacture. Some of their euro-class oils may indeed be made in Europe, but you'll have to look on the bottle.

Regards
Jordan

Does this include FORMULA SHELL motor oil? How does the additive package in FORMULA SHELL compare with PENNZOIL and QUAKER STATE'S additive package?

Don't really know, but by the looks of it. 'Formula Shell' products in the USA are the 'bargain basement' mineral oils. With Penn and QS being more premium brands. In Aus we only see oils marketed as. 'Shell.'

Regards
Jordan

If you really want to know, get a VOA done do know for sure
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Does this include FORMULA SHELL motor oil? How does the additive package in FORMULA SHELL compare with PENNZOIL and QUAKER STATE'S additive package?

Formula Shell likely won't be GTL unless Shell has some giant surplus. But, the additive package of Formula Shell seems closest to that of Quaker State in VOAs, within the margin of error. Shell claims they are different products though, and I believe them.

Generally speaking, I maintain that SN/GF-5 oils, particularly within the same tier (i.e. conventional in this case) are functionally interchangeable. When it comes to Formula Shell synthetic, you're not getting A5/B5 or dexos1, of course. Whether that's a marketing decision or a technical decision, I have no idea. That being said, in any application where it meets the specifications, I'd have no concern about using Formula Shell.

This is a little off topic, but I just clicked on one of the Pennzoil ads at the top of the page and saw a picture of the new Pennzoil Platinum Yellow bottles and it got me thinking...

For years internet forums (like this one) have been suggesting for all kinds of reasons that PYB (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle) was great oil. People would recommend to just go in and buy the product in the yellow bottle.

Do you think that one of the reasons SOPUS moved all of their Pennzoil products into yellow bottles was to capitalize on this internet buzz and make sure that their premium (and more expensive/higher value) products were also sought out by those who were following a recommendation to buy what was in the yellow bottle??

If the answer to that question is yes, then I applaud (and am a little frightened of) their marketing team. I have said before I am a sucker for cool packaging, so when the guys designing that packaging are clearly manipulating me, I know it's 100% my own fault.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Solarent
This is a little off topic, but I just clicked on one of the Pennzoil ads at the top of the page and saw a picture of the new Pennzoil Platinum Yellow bottles and it got me thinking...

For years internet forums (like this one) have been suggesting for all kinds of reasons that PYB (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle) was great oil. People would recommend to just go in and buy the product in the yellow bottle.

Do you think that one of the reasons SOPUS moved all of their Pennzoil products into yellow bottles was to capitalize on this internet buzz and make sure that their premium (and more expensive/higher value) products were also sought out by those who were following a recommendation to buy what was in the yellow bottle??

If the answer to that question is yes, then I applaud (and am a little frightened of) their marketing team. I have said before I am a sucker for cool packaging, so when the guys designing that packaging are clearly manipulating me, I know it's 100% my own fault.

Yes

Freight costs across country will eat you up so most large oil companies will have multiple blending and filling plants. Base oils will also likely be different on the west coast than on the gulf or east coast. Companies as large as SOPUS also need backup plans and have alternative formulas. At one time PZL alone bottled over one million quarts a day 365 days per year.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Formula Shell likely won't be GTL unless Shell has some giant surplus. But, the additive package of Formula Shell seems closest to that of Quaker State in VOAs, within the margin of error. Shell claims they are different products though, and I believe them.

Generally speaking, I maintain that SN/GF-5 oils, particularly within the same tier (i.e. conventional in this case) are functionally interchangeable. When it comes to Formula Shell synthetic, you're not getting A5/B5 or dexos1, of course. Whether that's a marketing decision or a technical decision, I have no idea. That being said, in any application where it meets the specifications, I'd have no concern about using Formula Shell.

The reason behind my Q?'s are, this is the oil that BITOG MEMBER 2015_PSD donated to me and my OCI's for the less fortunate people here in La. By no means at all am I stating ANYTHING negative towards him for donating it. I was just curious as to how long the additive package in said oil continues to provide protection before they need to change the oil. These OCI's were done some time ago and I was going to go to the ones that are still around and suggest that they get an OCI, if they can afford to.
Again, thank you 2015_PSD!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back