Fuel Pump Longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say yes because I've had Toyotas and Lexus vehicles with over 300,000 miles on the original fuel pump and the fuel pumps were still perfect. Anything external is going to be eaten by road salt.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Anything external is going to be eaten by road salt.

You misread the post.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Does an internal fuel filter provide longer life to a fuel pump compared to an external?

I'm not sure it makes any difference. The couple of times I've opened up a fuel tank to replace a pump I've been almost shocked how clean it was.

The only conclusion I can make on the limited data I've seen is that Japanese fuel pumps are made better than German ones. The two I've replaced have been on BMWs and they failed in under 150,000 miles. I've never had one fail on any of my Japanese cars even at twice the mileage.

The question was....does a returnless system with internal filter,make the pump last longer than a return system with external fuel filter. I think its a toss up.Both filter the fuel,and both pump.I'd say its the quality of the pump itself and wether its a GM pickup/SUV or not that makes the difference. lol

Fuel pump doesn't care what is downstream from it. When a fuel filter gets clogged enough to increase backpressure, the OBD2 system will throw lean codes, or some other fuel system pressure code.

Just don't ever run it dry....that is pretty much it.

EDIT: About the above post, in a perfect world with equal pumps, a returnless pump should last longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: punisher

I don't even think that is necessarily important but it probably depends on the definition of "dry". My wife and daughter consistently and constantly run the Sienna and the Accord down to well below 1/4 tank and they seem to be just fine.

To "run dry" means sucking in air, air will cause the pump to speed up, then gets hammered when gas returns. Stress, heat and friction....

Last edited:
When a fuel filter gets clogged enough to increase backpressure, the OBD2 system will throw lean codes, or some other fuel system pressure code.

False.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I don't even think that is necessarily important but it probably depends on the definition of "dry". My wife and daughter consistently and constantly run the Sienna and the Accord down to well below 1/4 tank and they seem to be just fine.

That's not dry, that's low.
Do they constantly run out of gas? If yes, then you're running dry.
I told my wife for years to NEVER run out of gas. She loves playing the "fuel light is on, perhaps I should get gas" game.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
That's not dry, that's low.
Do they constantly run out of gas? If yes, then you're running dry.
I told my wife for years to NEVER run out of gas. She loves playing the "fuel light is on, perhaps I should get gas" game.

No, I'm the only one that has actually run out of gas (twice in the ECHO). To date none of my family has done so.

Running out of gas can be costly. Usually means a couple hundred for a new fuel pump.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Anything external is going to be eaten by road salt.

You misread the post.

Does an internal fuel filter provide longer life to a fuel pump compared to an external?

My apologies. Your thread title was incongruous and even disingenuous.

Most of the cars I've dealt with have two fuel filters. An internal sock filter in the fuel tank and an external long-life filter. They also have long-lived fuel pumps. My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back