Puerto Rico aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
No doubt, tons of corruption.

So the island is already qualified for statehood.

LOL! Exactly, learning from the best.

Puerto Ricans will be headed to America and starting over since there is already family members in those areas, plus terrible economic conditions back on the island. Their only option is to relocate to the NE USA.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Stateside Puerto Ricans are disproportionately clustered in what has been called the "Boston-New York-Philadelphia-Washington Corridor" and in Florida along the East Coast

Originally Posted By: pbm
Quote:
They are US citizens since 1900 get over yourself.

I have never been to Puerto Rico but working in the South Bronx for over 30 years has familiarized me to it's people.
I have always observed the numerous Puerto Rican flags flying coupled with the lack of American flags...

Yes as US citizens one can fly a flag of choice that is part of freedoms. I fly a 13 star colonial flag at Forth of July time. Plenty of Irish flags come out at St Paddy parade and rainbow flags at gay pride etc.

Puerto Ricans will be headed to America and starting over since there is already family members in those areas, plus terrible economic conditions back on the island. Their only option is to relocate to the NE USA.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Stateside Puerto Ricans are disproportionately clustered in what has been called the "Boston-New York-Philadelphia-Washington Corridor" and in Florida along the East Coast

That was reason for curiosity because my wife works at hospital with heavy Puerto Rican population and coworkers. I presumed more folks would head over unless our government bailed it out.

There has long been a traditional two-way migration of Puerto Ricans from the island to the northeast, especially New York and New Jersey.
They come to the mainland, make themselves some money and then often return to the island. If you fly to San Juan via a northeast airport, a majority of your fellow passengers will be Spanish speakers. Been there done that.
In a place where it's always summer, the living is easy and housing is cheap, although everything else is pretty dear. Really destructive hurricane seasons like the present one aren't that common.
This pattern of migration is echoed in the inflow of Mexicans from the poorer southern regions of that country to the US. People often come, make a pile and then return home to build themselves a house with their newly earned relative wealth since Mexico is a place where everything is cheap by our standards.

I think Puerto Rico will be a humanitarian crisis for many months to come.

They will bring in food, water and generators to help the people who live there. The generators will likely go for hospitals, security and refrigeration for food being distributed.

I doubt if they will be taking tourists in 2017.

This issue is going to get very bad quickly.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

That was reason for curiosity because my wife works at hospital with heavy Puerto Rican population and coworkers. I presumed more folks would head over unless our government bailed it out.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Quote:

I have never been to Puerto Rico but working in the South Bronx for over 30 years has familiarized me to it's people.
I have always observed the numerous Puerto Rican flags flying coupled with the lack of American flags...

Yes as US citizens one can fly a flag of choice that is part of freedoms. I fly a 13 star colonial flag at Forth of July time. Plenty of Irish flags come out at St Paddy parade and rainbow flags at gay pride etc.

Most Americans of Irish heritage fly the Irish flag for a week or so in March just as Italians do around Columbus Day....any other time of year they usually fly their flags to the left of the US Flag as protocol dictates....the Puerto Rican flags seem to fly all year with no American flag in sight...Take a trip to the South Bronx and see for yourself.

Sounds like you need to get over the point I made. If they've been US citizens for 117 years, why haven't they assimilated or adopted our ways? They're not Americans as far as I am concerned.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

They are packing their bags and headed to the NE USA, which is better for them.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

Puerto Rico was in massive financial trouble BEFORE these storms..

Personally i'm waiting for Elon to make a move to install a massive battery banks/solar roofs during the rebuilding...

Actually the distributed concept is critical. Massive arrays are for the birds (Took this in the VI after Irma).

Actually distributed is critical. I was fairly impressed at the resiliency of small arrays and pole mounted panels.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Sounds like you need to get over the point I made. If they've been US citizens for 117 years, why haven't they assimilated or adopted our ways? They're not Americans as far as I am concerned.

Many Americans fly their state flags and in the South it's common to see the flag of a belligerent secessionist self-declared nation flying, until recently even before state government buildings.
For people of Puerto Rican heritage to fly their own flag is certainly no different.
Have Puerto Ricans failed to assimilate, or is it that we've failed to assimilate them, leaving them in the netherworld of territorial status and unable to elect voting members to our Congress?
It's past time to end the halfway house status of the various American territorial possessions around the world. A good first step might be statehood for Puerto Rico and then for the USVI.
The only legitimate alternative would be to cut them all loose as sovereigns, something none of these territories are in any economic position for, as is true for all but a few American states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back