Mobil 1 AP 5w20 - 9,822mi 2014 Jeep GC HEMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the Mobil 1 AP 5w20 UOA, I have filled my Jeep with this oil on April 9th and drain it on September 1st. The reason why I am draining this oil half way of it claim 20,000 miles because it have been though serve usage, I have used my Jeep to tow 7,000lbs for 2,800 miles on the oil from CA to VA. I have to add .5 qt in Texas and the other .5 qt once I got to VA. The sodium level may be because I have used NAPA Synthetic oil second change before this. Let me know what you guys think about the result.

It looks quite good. The oil is still in grade and the flash point is high which is good, the TBN is at 3.4 which is good and shows good TBN retention to this point.

Looks a little bit more stout than what you ran on your previous UOA but not much. AP not head and shoulders above synthetic oils you can get at walmart for $25-30 cheaper.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Looks a little bit more stout than what you ran on your previous UOA but not much. AP not head and shoulders above synthetic oils you can get at walmart for $25-30 cheaper.

I disagree. Look at the difference in calcium and see how TBN is almost exactly the same with more miles and harder use. This stuff might seriously have some 'secret sauce' and I might have to give it a try.

Originally Posted By: VetteElite

I disagree. Look at the difference in calcium and see how TBN is almost exactly the same with more miles and harder use. This stuff might seriously have some 'secret sauce' and I might have to give it a try.

It simply uses the magnesium in addition to calcium instead of just straight calcium. Very common blending practice and hardly "secret sauce".

Of course UOA's like this give us very little insight into base oils. You can get an hint though from viscosity retention and flash point. But again this AP doesn't look any stronger than a host of good full syns at Wally's for half the price. I doubt this UOA would look one whit different if he had used EP instead.

It is a great report. No doubt.
The 'secret sauce' doesn't directly show up on a UOA like this though. Its the anti-oxidant chemicals (hydrocarbons, with oxygen and other non-metallic atoms) that makes this stuff special. It makes oil last longer by delaying the onset of sludge and thickening for longer than some other oils.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: VetteElite

It simply uses the magnesium in addition to calcium instead of just straight calcium. Very common blending practice and hardly "secret sauce".

Of course UOA's like this give us very little insight into base oils. You can get an hint though from viscosity retention and flash point. But again this AP doesn't look any stronger than a host of good full syns at Wally's for half the price. I doubt this UOA would look one whit different if he had used EP instead.

I never said the magnesium was the secret sauce. I'm saying I like the reduction in calcium and I also think they have something good going on because look at how good this UOA.

If I was doing long distance towing on 5w20 - would not worry about that price difference during that period.
I'm guessing the AP might drop another $5 once quarterly results are in. That's where I'll stock some since IMO any cheaper they will reduce PAO or just drop it.
Good run really ...

So far so good, but we're all wondering about the viscosity and TBN retention beyond 10k miles. If one goes 15k miles and does an UOA, then we'll have a clearer picture.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
So far so good, but we're all wondering about the viscosity and TBN retention beyond 10k miles. If one goes 15k miles and does an UOA, then we'll have a clearer picture.
I would think TBN retention would be fine as EP TBN retention after 10K remains around 2 FTMP out to 20K in testing. Proves nothing about AP. Just sayin.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Impressive for dragging a trailer cross country. What was the previous fill that ran 6687 miles?

The previous fill that ran for 6687 was PUP mixed 5w30 and 5w20. I was really surprise for the result from this UOA since I was expecting more wear due to the towing up and down mountain pass to get to here. I am not a Mobil fan, but I wanted to give it a tried since it just came out back then and I know I was making this trip. I wish I have keep it in there for longer but I rather be safe then sorry especially with the serve usage. I would buy this oil again since I was really impress with the result however I have stock up on too much oil and it will 3 years to get riddle off if I was changing my Jeep and my wife car every six months.

Last edited:
The nickel and chromium is never a good sign, explains your oil burning.

Poor filtration of the engine oil.

Iron and copper are too high, the testing is poor so you'll be unable to tell from this UOA why. Contrary to what everyone is told, you can pull some neat things from one UOA. Just not enough people know how to. Matt Spurlock can attest to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back