Personal VPN - McAfee Safe Connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
What does a personal VPN do exactly? It's an optional free download when you update Adobe Flash Player.

Google or wikipedia will have a better answer. Basically it masks your IP address/identity online to improve privacy.

You want the real world answer? Piracy.

People use a VPN so they can download/upload torrents of pirated content without getting DMCA notices from their ISP.

After reading some of the linked articles one said:

"The bad news for anyone used to free services is that it pays to pay when it comes to a VPN. There are tons of free options from reputable companies, but these are usually a poor substitute for the paid options. Free services usually allow a limited amount of bandwidth usage per month or offer a slower service. Tunnel Bear, for example, offers just 500MB of free bandwidth per month, while CyberGhost offers a free service that is significantly slower than its paid service."

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
You want the real world answer? Piracy.

People use a VPN so they can download/upload torrents of pirated content without getting DMCA notices from their ISP.

I use one from time to time; 1) to spoof my location to access U.S.-only media, and 2) when on public WiFi to ensure all of my traffic is encrypted.

It is not good. They didn't advertise the service keeps no log of user activities. So if MPAA wants to sue you they can still sue McAfee and they'll have to reveal who was logged on to that particular ip address doing what. Plus they are not cheaper than other more reputable VPN.

I'd pass.

A cheap, better then nothing VPN is available for free with the Opera Desktop Browser.
Not a cure all, only when you are using Opera. Download, then go into settings and enable VPN.
Its not a full fledged real VPN but a better then nothing VPN.

You can google reviews on it.

More on VPN in laymans ...
Click

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back