One size fits all

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to slim down my many tubs and cartridges of grease and find something that fits the majority of my needs. #1 need is for disc brake bearings and wheel bearings for bicycles, motorcycles, and cars. Next would be basic items such as chasis parts and trailers.

I've been looking at Redline CV-2, Amsoil multi purpose 2 and royal purple ultra. Thoughts on these?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Just did this myself, and I rolled with Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Grease No. 2. It's GC-LB rated. Can buy it locally at O'Reilly or Tractor Supply cheap enough. Just bought another tube the other week at Tractor Supply for $4.49.

http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20026.pdf

That stuff does not look too bad at all. And Cheap.

Don't think you can get better than some of the Schaefer greases for chassis.

For other stuff like bearings, mystik is a good choice, as is Mobil 1 and a variety of others.

We use Red Line CV-2 in a mining application, a drilling tool where the bearings get hit by fine abrasive particles, intermittent high loads, and steam. We went through a bunch of industrial specific greases as well as off the shelf products but CV-2 was by far the best at wear resistance and staying put where applied. Now, I use it everywhere that you would use a grease, even the door hinges on my old Civic.

My personal opinion- don't go cheap. I use trc 880. Very happy with it. Have used Schaffer in the past. Would use it again if I ran out and needed grease. Have used wolf's head, pennzoil, valvoline, and others in the past. Not goin there again. Test the better greased and see what works best in your application

I went with the redline. Seems to dispense good in my mini grease gun. The grease seems to have a wet sheen on it almost like it's about to melt. We shall see how it holds up to a bearing job next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back