Diesel P/U's Coal Smoking It from Stop Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do some diesel pickup truck guys do a Coal Smoke launch when the light goes green. I've seen this a few times, not real often and the few times it's been a customized bro truck each instance, lifted w/ with over sized pipe(s). Makes me slap my a/c on recirc real quick to prevent pulling the black cloud into my car.

I think diesel's are great but these sort of shenanigans just annoy people.

It's to express their "manhood", but bros are probably the most insecure of them.

I don't see it too often in this part of CA - CA now requires diesels to be smogged in certain parts of the state. Tampering with an emissions control system is a federal offense, DOTs aren't focused on pickups for code enforcement, they go after big rigs instead.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
They just passed the "Anti-Rolling Coal" law here in Colorado. The fine is only $100.
I wish they would confiscate the vehicle.
If you want to be stupid, that's one thing. But when it affects other people...
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/22/colorado-rolling-coal-fines/

The fines should be steeper(like in the $1000s) and/or a visit to the state smog referee and the truck being listed as a gross polluter.

Last edited:
Ask VW how they feel. They got hit with effectively a $21 billion dollar fine for extra diesel pollution.
Some people in this country love pollution. By extension, they must love cancer as well. Its a very strange obsession.

Originally Posted By: nthach
It's to express their make up for their lack of "manhood".

Fixed it for ya.

I used to "run" with a crowd that had some of these bros. I made fun of them every chance I got. I like diesel pickups just fine and all, but these "bros" have really ruined them for me. I don't see this being any different than loud exhaust (guilty in the past), loud music, or anything else that just screams, "HEY! HEY! Look at ME!".

(Some) Motorcycle riders are the worst of the bunch. The loud exhaust is one thing, but they have to constantly rev it while rolling through a parking lot with lots of people present. Eh, I'm just old I guess.

Last edited:
I just pass it off to young people being young people.

They're giving us normal diesel pickup/light/medium truck owners a bad name, and unfortunately they'll be making ALL diesels pass emission tests again. Rolling coal is a waste of fuel anyway, need more air (twins) to turn all that carbon into usable power.

Whenever I hear some of the rolling coal people complain about fuel being too expensive I laugh. So fuel is too much, but its still cheap enough to blow it out the exhaust just for making smoke and showing everyone what a tough guy you are?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
They're giving us normal diesel pickup/light/medium truck owners a bad name, and unfortunately they'll be making ALL diesels pass emission tests again. Rolling coal is a waste of fuel anyway....

Yep, agreed - it's unburned fuel in the air.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Why do some diesel pickup truck guys do a Coal Smoke launch when the light goes green. I've seen this a few times, not real often and the few times it's been a customized bro truck each instance, lifted w/ with over sized pipe(s). Makes me slap my a/c on recirc real quick to prevent pulling the black cloud into my car.

I think diesel's are great but these sort of shenanigans just annoy people.

Maybe those idiots didn't get any attention as a child.... so now is their chance to get the desired attention.

#LookAtMyBigTonkaTruck

#MyTruckHasBigTires,Smoke,GlitterAndGlam

#MommySaysImTotallyBodaciousCauseOfMyRollingCoal

57.gif

I guess I'm too old to find this significant. When I was a kid, every dump truck, delivery truck, and garbage truck "rolled coal".

We're not an emissions State, and even here, I can tell you that dirty diesel engines are about as common as the mastodon compared to 20 years ago.

Coal rollers are just good at making themselves a noticeable nemesis, I guess.

Lots of them up here. Every time they take off, they stomp the throttle to make a cloud of smoke and noise. These bro truck owners specifically tune them to maximize smoke thinking it looks cool. Quite annoying if you ask me.

Last edited:
I see the young guys rolling coal occasionally, loud Honda Civics, loud motorcycles etc. Doesn't really bother me....not that I ever done similar things...being young and all...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Killer223
I never expected this forum to be so full of splinter lips.

What's a splinter lip?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I guess I'm too old to find this significant. When I was a kid, every dump truck, delivery truck, and garbage truck "rolled coal".

I also remember that era here as well, even though CA is an emission state. Buses and garbage trucks all had the Detroit Diesel two-stroke diesel in them. They sounded great compared to the Cummins/Volvo motors that replace them now but they did belch smoke. If Rolls-Royce/MTU and Daimler wanted to, they could have kept building the original GM Diesel design.

The first generation of exhaust aftertreatment CARB mandated on transit buses and trash trucks gave out a small pull of smoke on acceleration.

I've never quite understood it either.

I've volunteered a local scenic railroad some, and have been able to fire their small steam loco under supervision. One of the things the head fireman drilled into me was that a properly fired loco doesn't smoke. Shoveling coal into the firebox is sweaty, back breaking work even in a small locomotive, and every time I'd get smoke he would chastise me with "there's your hard work going up the smokestack." Thinking about the effort to build the fire and then waste it really puts things in perspective. We did intentionally smoke when we had a photo run-by since that's what people wanted, but that was it(we also liked cold days for the same reason since we'd get enough steam condensation out the stack for folks to get good photos.

I love AlCo diesels, but they can also be frustrating to run on a scenic line(where you're watching every penny) for the same reason. Our EMDs(two stroke) got a lot more service than our ALCos for a variety of reasons, partially because we have a relatively "new" GP-38 that's reliable(with lots of support since class 1s are still running some GP-38s and the similar SD-38), but also because the two-stroke EMDs are a lot more efficient in our operation. We're on the throttle a lot and usually between notch 2 and 4. The 4-cycle ALCos have massive turbos, and every time the throttle is notched up you run into serious turbo lag and they will belch clouds of smoke for a minute or two until things settle down. With long runs on a Class 1 where you're usually in notch 7 or 8 it's not a problem, but again we're on it a lot more(and at lower speeds) than on a main line. For that reason, our ALCos mostly sit idle these days.

We don't have any emission rules or testing in NZ, but earlier this century the small diesels in our utes and vans were bad for smoking...just a maintanence thing, not on purpose. So they introduced a smoke test on the safety test to get these things less smokey. Since going low sulphur and with more common rail engines around, you hardly see a smoking diesel these days.

The coal rollers are a direct reaction to the environmental weenies.

Extreme yields extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back