adjust briggs clutch spring

Status
Not open for further replies.
for walk behing mowers.
you turn the inner/spring - outer spring part and it lenghtens or shortens the spring and cable - this affects the the drive action. is there a trick to that? my spring is hard to turn- do I pry the coils apar tsome and oil it? Im afraid that twisting the inner or outer part of the spring might bend or break the spring?

any idees?

Last edited:
Find a PDF for the specific unit. Get the model,type and serial number of the motor and the mower and start Googling. You tube may have something too. I have PDFs for most of my OPE

Briggs makes engines. You need the docs from whoever made the mower.

If the spring is rusted up there is probably rust in the cable and that is a big cause of balky drive engagement. Detach both ends of the cable and check that the center moves through the sheath freely. If not, replace the cable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
2012 yes 21 inch walk behind
manual has no detais in how to do it, just turn it

Ok, we have a spring that screws into another spring, like a bolt into threads called a "Clutch Spring".

I normally remove the spring(s) from the clutch cable and the clutch idler arm. Needle nose pliers help.

Then spray spring with wd-40 or similar. Screw springs into each other about 2 full turns. Pliers may be needed. Re-attach spring, while watching the spring, engage drive lever, your looking for the spring coils to separate slightly. If not, remove spring again and repeat.
Then test running mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back