Recently retired after almost 26 years on the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

How many of you went back to work after retirement and how many of you felt no need to find another job?

I'm undecided at this point if I want to find another job. At some point I may try to find something else to do but at this point I don't know what that would be. Just curious on the different thoughts about retirement.

Wayne

Coming up on my retirement, 24 yrs on the job 2 to go, been thinking about this also, might go part time at Lowes, try to get in the Garden Center, 5 min walk from home
cheers3.gif

With respect, I never understood this logic.

If you are planning to retire yet find another job anyway, then why bother retiring? Why give up your current salary for $10/hr at Lowes?

I'm young, but I imagine waiting to retire until I'm sure I don't have to work anymore. When I retire, I'm DONE.

Will have been retired 11 years in February. Never had the need nor the desire to go back to work for anyone again.

You will be surprised by how much down time you will truly have. Enough to create a fair amount of boredom. Another aspect that people don't think about is that the retiree loses their sense of purpose. Whether we realize it or not work provides a sense of purpose. Losing this can be a real loss that is quite hard for many to deal with. There are only so many projects to do around the house, only so many errands to run, and but so many people to go and see.
Having said this, there are some people who have no problems at all with this transition. Some have zero problems at all and find another purpose in their lives.

Depends on finances. Agree that if you have to keep working, keep the old job - or find another with similar pay at least.

If you're secure and don't have to work, then it's time to take all the vacation trips you wanted to before....and early enough to enjoy them.

I knew a guy that did 20 in the Navy, retired, bought a Harley and never looked back. He's probably still cruising the highways....

Originally Posted By: emmett442

If you are planning to retire yet find another job anyway, then why bother retiring? Why give up your current salary for $10/hr at Lowes?

I'm young, but I imagine waiting to retire until I'm sure I don't have to work anymore. When I retire, I'm DONE.

Because it keeps you busy.

Typically, the older folks you see doing this sort of thing do not have to work.. they just want something to keep them going. That said, they could use that money earned for their hobbies without dipping into their retirement fund(s).

I worked with an older guy at my first job. 84. All his friends retired, sat a home and watched TV then had severe health issues and died a few years later. These were his words. He just wanted something to keep him going whatever that was. He said there was no stress in what he did because he didn't "have" to be there.. just wanted to.

He worked ~20 hr weeks during the colder months and took the late spring, summer and early fall off.

I should have worked for the government. Retirement for me will be 45 years in professional workforce.
frown.gif

Enjoy the free time, why would you want to get back in the rat race?

I'm 63 and in the last few 2 years I've reduced to 3 days per week then 2 days. I originally did it to help look after grand children but I think it's an ideal compromise and feel as though I can now carry on working 2 days indefinitely. I actually enjoy work now and look forward to going in for my 2 days.

The change from a stress full job to nothing is just too much. I knew one poor guy that didn't survive the weekend after his retirement.

Originally Posted By: emmett442

Because some salaries are proportional to the difficulty of the job and some jobs are difficult. I can see someone who's been doing hard labor for decades to save up enough money to pay off the mortgage, put kids through college and have a little on the side, taking up a comparatively easier job with better hours just to stretch out the savings a little more.

I retired at the age of 58, I'm now 73, I've spent 15 years traveling, persueing my hobbies "target shooting" a enjoying myself to the fullest.

Only reason I ever worked was to afford the toys I wished and to give to other less fortunate, if I ever could have figured how to do that without working I never would have worked at all.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I retired at the age of 58, I'm now 73, I've spent 15 years traveling, persuing my hobbies "target shooting" a enjoying myself to the fullest.

thumbsup2.gif
That's the way to do it!

Originally Posted By: wtd
How many of you went back to work after retirement and how many of you felt no need to find another job?

I'm undecided at this point if I want to find another job. At some point I may try to find something else to do but at this point I don't know what that would be. Just curious on the different thoughts about retirement.

Wayne

Congratulations. What was your career field ?
30+ years for me in the same industry and I'm also retiring very soon.

Once I retire, that's it. No more work and time to enjoy things like traveling.

There was a study done in the 60's to determine healthcare rates for US Postal letter carriers for some government accounting office directed by Ike a cost analysis effort. There was a class of government employee that walked a route every day delivering mail. In those days people printed or wrote things on pieces of paper, put them in envelopes and the US Postal Service would deliver them to the designated address, an ancient practice that continues in some small way, today. These letter carriers were generally in what was described as excellent health. The problem here was that the study included these people in retirement. It was determined that they went from the very healthiest classification to the worst barring those with chronic diseases or morbidly obese. Apparently when a letter carrier retired that was the end of walking long distances every day even though his/her appetite may have continued to have little or no reduction. These letter carriers benefitted from their job activity and suffered when they retired. I don't know what happened with the ratings but I know it scared a neighbor letter carrier into taking up marathon running when he retired.

I agree that when I finally retire, I won't work as there is no job I could get where I could earn anything close to what I earn now.

My plan (subject to change) is to work for another year or two until wife can retire from NYS job.

Hopefully our house will be paid for and no other debt.

I semi retired when I was 59, and worked a little part time until March of this year, when I fully retired. The company I worked for let me work as much or as little as I wanted for the last 6 years. My wife will retire in about 18 months. Occasionally I'll look at her on Saturday morning and ask her if today is Tuesday.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Job? I don't need no stinking job!

I retired 2 years ago, I am on the go all day with grocery shopping, errands, house projects, etc. Bored? Get real.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: wtd

Wayne

Congratulations. What was your career field ?
30+ years for me in the same industry and I'm also retiring very soon.

Once I retire, that's it. No more work and time to enjoy things like traveling.

Thank you. Career field was Law Enforcement for the Federal Government. I'm only 50 but would have been mandatory out at age 57. I had planned to stay a few more years but there are a lot of cuts in our retirement in the proposed government budget which made me decide to go now. I know that they probably won't all pass but I'm sure some will. Plus I was getting burned out so it was time to go.

A lot of the people that retired from where I did do have part time jobs but a lot of them really didn't set themselves up financially to retire so they had to do something to supplement their income. Luckily I am not in that situation.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back