Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2018-honda-gold-wing-leak/#more-142579

2018-Honda-Gold-Wing-leak-01.jpg

2018-Honda-Gold-Wing-leak-07.jpg

2018-Honda-Gold-Wing-leak-10.jpg

2018-Honda-Gold-Wing-leak-04.jpg

It's a nice looking machine.

I hate all the doo-dads - It's too easy to get confused or distracted while driving trying to find the right button!

That new front suspension looks cool! And the lack of a clutch lever on the F6B certainly suggests DCT will be available. Pity I can't justify the expense!

Ill take it!!! Maybe for the next bike, we will see. Much improved look to me, my one concern will be if they improved the cheap feeling plastics and horrible paint, if so, I would consider it for sure.
It looks like an affordable BMW :eek:)

Last edited:
Find a crashed one and put the motor in a VW Bug
smile.gif

-
Its a two wheeled car. Not my idea of fun. Instrument panel looks like it was lifted from parts bin cheap civic or accord.

for longish pleasure journeys I'll take a vintage 4 wheeled cabriolet - or if you wanna get a bit RAW a mild t-bucket. I had a lot of fun driving our 23 T with a mild 350 chevy v8. Steers surprisingly well for a 75 year old design. But then again looking at light trucks chassis tech is same as I saw it in the early 70's - 45+ years and NO movement. NONE.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
all that tech and yet a dial speedo and dial tach

I actually prefer analog speedo and tach, as long as they're legible.

I would think you can display speed on the center screen as well.

I like it in base trim as shown in battleship grey or whatever. Their attempt to make the current Goldwing chassis cool by stripping it and calling it a Valkryie again sort of flopped on them. But that new 2018 in grey has got it going on.

The grey one is an F6B (Think “Street Glide”) and the Blue one is a regular Gold Wing (Think “Ultra Classic”)or at least that is what they would compare to it the present lineup.

There is a 22 page thread on GL1800 riders arguing about whether these pictures are “real” as well as the presence or lack there of of a clutch lever in some of the renderingings / photos.

These images show a more attractive bike than the present one to my eyes... guess we will see how the specs shake out fairly soon...

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Could this bike be characterized as a "couch rocket"?

I'd say no, even though 'wings are no slouchs in the power dept (horizontally opposed six cylinders) and can be tossed through the curves with plenty of gusto by a rider experienced with them (and with brass ones) they do not fit the traditional def of crotch rocket. That's reserved for the 600cc up to 1300-ish class of sport bikes, often with the "crouching gorilla" riding position of leaned forward while legs bent with wrists bearing more weight than in more traditional riding positions.

Wait... okay. I see what you did there ...
laugh.gif
Got me !!
grin.gif

I like the grey base model. It's nice to be able to see the front wheel and tire on a Goldwing again. It looks much less "automotive" than past models.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Wait... okay. I see what you did there ...
laugh.gif
Got me !!
grin.gif

I thought "couch rocket" was a fair and accurate characterization of a very nice bike.

I'm happy that eventually, you caught on (lol).

It's comfortable ("couch") and all kidding aside when one considers mixing with cars and trucks and not crotch rockets, the GW is still a fast bike ("rocket").

Ahh, after my last remark on the other page, how I like the look of the new wing, I just thought of another shortcoming after reading about how the GW is a fast bike.
I wonder if they upgraded the transmission to a 6 speed yet. To me, on any cruising bike that would be a deal killer if it still has only 5 speeds. Unacceptable to me in a bike that is supposed to be a cruiser out on the interstate.

Yeah, I know what responses will be and there will be some that say it doesnt need it, well for the cruising cross country bike it portrays to be it does need it.
There are a number of Goldwing owners who wish they had that 6th gear, for me an unacceptable compromise only having 5 speeds. One just needs to read the forums/ this is for people who cruise at GPS 80 MPH interstate speeds.
Those GW owners wish they had the extra gear and all will tell you in addition how MPG goes in the toilet at those speeds.

Click, just a tiny page of 6th gear talk out of thousands

Ok one more ...

Lets also keep in mind the GW exaggerates the speed the bike is going (like a lot of brands from Japan) and why important to use GPS speed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: sunruh
all that tech and yet a dial speedo and dial tach

I actually prefer analog speedo and tach, as long as they're legible.

Yes, lots of scientific studies on this in aviation.

The Human mind does better when it sees a "picture" (analog)

...than it does when it sees a "number" -
because you waste time thinking whether the number is a good number or not. (too high, too low)

I prefer a anolog too, and now that you mention it you can see your speed or tach and know what it is by the position of the needle with just a glance. To me, digital is a cost savings device.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Ahh, after my last remark on the other page, how I like the look of the new wing, I just thought of another shortcoming after reading about how the GW is a fast bike.
I wonder if they upgraded the transmission to a 6 speed yet. To me, on any cruising bike that would be a deal killer if it still has only 5 speeds. Unacceptable to me in a bike that is supposed to be a cruiser out on the interstate.

Yeah, I know what responses will be and there will be some that say it doesnt need it, well for the cruising cross country bike it portrays to be it does need it.
There are a number of Goldwing owners who wish they had that 6th gear, for me an unacceptable compromise only having 5 speeds. One just needs to read the forums/ this is for people who cruise at GPS 80 MPH interstate speeds.
Those GW owners wish they had the extra gear and all will tell you in addition how MPG goes in the toilet at those speeds.

Click, just a tiny page of 6th gear talk out of thousands

Ok one more ...

Lets also keep in mind the GW exaggerates the speed the bike is going (like a lot of brands from Japan) and why important to use GPS speed.

The number of gears in the transmission, does not determine what the overall gear ratio (primary, transmission, final drive, tire diameter) is in a given bikes top gear. A bike with a three speed transmission could be designed with a taller overall gear ratio in it's top gear, than a "6-speed transmission". Of course that would make a for a very wide-ratio transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back