GM Oil Life Monitor - OCI With Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a 2005 Trail Blazer with 4.2L I-6 :

* When to change oil - 0% or do you change at a higher % (i.e. 10% , 15% , 20% )?
* With synthetic oil - would you feel more comfortable to run the GM OLM down to 0% or even re-set and run down to 50% to 75% ?

I would have to believe an '05 Trail Blazer OLM was developed around conventional oil thus you could run synthetic oil longer ?
GM just states "with synthetic oil simply follow the OLM for a cleaner engine" ... Your thoughts , experiences and preferances for above ?

I use Pennzoil Platinum and usually change the oil when it hits 1 year, which comes out to about 6000-7000 miles. That will usually show 25% on the OLM.

The 4.2 is pretty easy on oil, you can follow OLM
smile.gif

Last edited:
I would run the OLM down to zero no problem.

For example, my malibu requires at least a syn blend dexos oil and to follow the OLM and at least change it once a year. I run full syn 0w20 in it and change it between 15-20% oil life yet. Im at 19% left on the oil life now, so it should be getting changed in the next 2 weeks.

sisters 2010 malibu 3.6 that i change oil, she uses the OLM usually under 10% not sure of miles. last change i put in 6 qt by accident as it takes 5.5 so i drained a half qt out of the pan before starting it, surprised of the "sludgy" look of the new oil mixed what was on the bottom of the pan. i am picky draining all the oil i can by jacking the car to do so. the following change was after a good drive + very hot as i like to do + i got some more sludgy out!! i always recommend to the family members getting it very hot before changing, but not my rides so its their choice! surprising oil is barely lukewarm after 10 miles!!! bother-in-law buys pennz plat for it since they bought it at 30,xxx miles so history is not known

Last edited:
Ran a 2006 Malibu to 15,000 miles with 3 quarts of make up oil. OLM was run down to zero twice but the UOA said oil was fine. Every UOA I've done suggested the OLM was very conservative. I use a mix of whatever oil is on sale, conventional or synthetic.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
* When to change oil - 0% or do you change at a higher % (i.e. 10% , 15% , 20% )?
* With synthetic oil - would you feel more comfortable to run the GM OLM down to 0% or even re-set and run down to 50% to 75% ?
I would have to believe an '05 Trail Blazer OLM was developed around conventional oil thus you could run synthetic oil longer ?
GM just states "with synthetic oil simply follow the OLM for a cleaner engine" ... Your thoughts , experiences and preferances for above ?

Thats all correct. GM designed the OLM back then to use older conventional oil, SL GF-3. I'd use M1 Extended Performance or Castrol Edge gold jug extended perf 5w30 in that at 1.5 x OLM. M1 Annual Protection at 2 x OLM. Fram Ultra oil filter for better performance too. Watch oil level closely over those long intervals.

Follow the OLM, keep it topped off, and you'll be fine.

125K on our Buick with SynBlend and oil changes between 10-25% on the OLM. And it's still plugging along just fine.

I'm not religious about my OCI's, I do it based on when it's convenient for me to do it.

Originally Posted By: benjy
sisters 2010 malibu 3.6 that i change oil, she uses the OLM usually under 10% not sure of miles. last change i put in 6 qt by accident as it takes 5.5 so i drained a half qt out of the pan before starting it, surprised of the "sludgy" look of the new oil mixed what was on the bottom of the pan. i am picky draining all the oil i can by jacking the car to do so. the following change was after a good drive + very hot as i like to do + i got some more sludgy out!! i always recommend to the family members getting it very hot before changing, but not my rides so its their choice! surprising oil is barely lukewarm after 10 miles!!! bother-in-law buys pennz plat for it since they bought it at 30,xxx miles so history is not known

I do 5K oil changes on my 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6, I put 6qts in my 3.6 with the longer Wix filter 57045 and Pennz Platinum, never used the OLM.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

If you're being conservative, go to 0-5% and change. If you're interested in getting the most out of your oil, then sample at 10% and go from there.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I change my oil at 10K regardless of what some gadget says.

I change my oil at the OLM regardless of some people's obsession with the number 10k.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I change my oil at 10K regardless of what some gadget says.

Easy to do in a non turbo non direct injection engine. I run my 4.6 V-8 and 2.0 Zetec to similar to your OCI's and everything is just ducky. HOWEVER with our new 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer I have to watch the OCI much more carefully, even using Mobil 1 5W-30
grin.gif
, As these engines tend to be much more brutal on oil life. I'm doing some UOA's to see if I can establish a reasonable OCI. Of course the million $$$ question is does or how much fuel dilution in the oil causes wear metals for turbo DI engines to effect OCI's. Hopefully I'll see a pattern

Whimsey

I have a good range of tough on oil to easy on oil (based on comments & UOA here) engines in signature- and none will let you get to 10k on OLM. Therefore I look for the time that suits my schedule and oil stash - 5k - 7.5k.
(Gives me room to run past once in a while too)

2006 Colorado Z71 with the 3.5L I-5, 6 qt sump. My OLM doesn't show remaining life, just flashes 'change oil' and you are supposed to change it within 600 miles.

I run 5W30 to a 6K OCI and reset the light regardless. I let the light go without resetting 2x to see what the brain said. I said to change oil at about 9k.

A 2005 4.2L I-6 would probably specify GM 6094M as the only requirement. PYB meets that easily.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I have a good range of tough on oil to easy on oil (based on comments & UOA here) engines in signature- and none will let you get to 10k on OLM. Therefore I look for the time that suits my schedule and oil stash - 5k - 7.5k.
(Gives me room to run past once in a while too)

Do you have any UOA's on that Explorer?

I don't - Was changing at 5k knowing about the fuel dilution.
Was running either M1 EP or PUP in 5w30 ... but have M1 5w40 in now so I'll let it run longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back