Extended run fuel tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased the extended run fuel cap with tank for our Honda inverter.

Couple questions

When refueling, assuming this is always done from the extended run tank, provided the primary tank is still full?
Also, apparently it does not matter that the extended run tank is sitting on a lower level - ie. the internal gravity feed is sufficient to create a vacuum and syphon (flow unaided) fuel from extended to primary ?

Anything else to be aware of ?

s-l300.jpg

These work on Hondas because they have a fuel pump.

I made one for my Champion, but it has to be elevated.

You can refuel the aux while the gen is running several times before you have to refuel the primary tank.
(as long as you don't take forever to do it)

Eventually, enough air will make its way in - and the only way to get rid of it is to fill the main tank again.

Originally Posted By: Olas
you'll have to purge&prime it.

I don't see any need to purge/prime the aux line. That procedure is not needed at all.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Olas
you'll have to purge&prime it.

I don't see any need to purge/prime the aux line. That procedure is not needed at all.
How's the fuel pump going to pull fuel uphill into the generator tank if there's air in the line?

Put an inline primer bulb on the line from the auxiliary tank. Similar to that found on outboard motor fuel tanks.

Actually, an outboard motor fuel tank and line would be ideal for an auxiliary fuel supply. For the Yamaha, all you'd need is a modified fuel cap, attach a short piece of fuel line and an outboard motor fitting to the cap, connect to the outboard tank, prime the line and go. I'd likely mount the auxiliary tank higher than the generator to ensure uninterrupted fuel flow.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
going to pull fuel uphill into the generator tank if there's air in the line?

Not quite. Just in theory.

In practice,
after the (first full) main tank is used about 1/4 of the way,
there's plenty of vacuum to pull fuel from the auxiliary tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back