2006 Honda Civic Oil and Filter Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title suggests, engine is R18 and I have a lot of oil in my stash. So planning to do an oil change but have 2 questions:

1-I changed oil with A02 Honda OEM filter in March time frame of 2017. Car sees mostly short trips, did one 1500 miles trip on current oil and also do highway miles on it, usually 1-2 times a week. Should I leave oil filter because current oil has 5300ish miles on it?

2-Oil life indicator is still reading 40% and current oil has almost 5300ish miles. Should I just change oil?

Or just wait altogether until it reaches to 15% and/or 7500 miles and do both at the same time. Currently, it has conventional oil in it.

I mean, I can do both without any problem but wanted to check with pro's
smile.gif

Thanks

I would just follow your MM. Also from prices I have seen on Honda oem filters, you can get an ultra for not much more money. I also agree with using synthetic.

5300 miles is a good run for dino oil that's been primarily short tripped. I'd change it.

If you have plenty of oil in your stash, why not?

How long are the weekly highway runs? 45min or more = follow olm. 30min is edging into borderline. 20min or less. Change oil

You can use the MM's full recommend OCI (when it gets to 15%) with no problems
smile.gif

The only exception is if it doesn't drop down to 15% after a whole year.

The A02 is a cardboard Fram, an orange can but with a silicone ADBV, which Fram just started putting on the Extra Guard/PH orange cans now, too. So the new Fram PH7317 is essentially identical to the A02.

For MM/OLM cars, I like to use the cheapest synthetic on sale.

Thanks guys, think I'll drop the oil and keep the oil filter until 10k miles.

Will add synthetic, have a lot of it in the stash.

IIRC, Germans started using synth oil on their planes during WWII; that oil wasn't cheap or easy to produce and planes had chances of not coming back either, but they still used the oil in the engines, why? I bet engines lasted a fair bit longer and it was worth doing so...

Back to OP's topic.. we have Acura CSX in family and I chose to use Mahle 707 filters and PP 5w-30 with 4K miles OCI due to infrequent and mostly short trips. The filters can be had from Rock Auto at very reasonable price. Air filters and spark plugs are well priced there as well as per personal experience.

I am so glad I did it. I know there's no sure way without UOA, but I drained oil today and kept oil filter — I could smell slight gasoline from engine oil or maybe just being paranoid.

OLM was showing 30%(~6k miles). Replaced with Valvoline 5W20 synthetic dura blend in blue quarts!

Car is happy
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Synthetic will give you 50% less wear!

It will?

http://newsroom.aaa.com/2017/06/aaa-spills-truth-oil-changes/

I thought you were referring to the new Valvoline Synpower bottles. Besides being the new easy to pour design, Valvoline put new labels on it. I was looking at it yesterday, and on the front, it says something like "50% better wear proection than our conventional oil".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back