OEM or Aftermarket for Sway Bar Links & Bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am having some front-end work done on my Corolla, namely lower ball joints, sway bar links, sway bar link bushings and struts. I've found a great local shop to do the work at a very reasonable labor rate, and they're letting me supply the parts. The goal of this is to keep the car running well for another 40k miles before I plan to trade it (at 100k now). With this said, I've ordered the following:

KYB Quick-struts for the front (rear is supposedly fine)
Genuine Toyota LBJs (read one too many horror stories about aftermarkets here).

Where I'm undecided is on the sway bar links and bushings. I can get Moog problem solvers for $55 ea cheaper, and the bushings are $16 for a pair versus $13 each for the OEMs. I also looked at Beck/Arnley, but it seems these are not reboxed OEMs for this part, and have been somewhat problematic. I've read that Moog quality may have gone downhill recently, but in this case, the part for this car looks to actually be upgraded (there's a side-by-side on the Amazon page). I'm wondering if anyone has recent experience with Moog SBLs and bushings, and if you think they're a better, worse, or indifferent choice (which goes to the cheaper option) in this case.

Also, the Moog's are greasable, with a good synthetic grease, how often is this required?

Seems like a lot of money to be spending on a car your not going to be keeping that much longer.

The Struts on my 2004 Corolla S held up just fine to 102,000. I figure its set for another 100,000K at least. I replaced the OEM struts with Monroe's.

Last edited:
Go with the Moog links. You won't be disappointed.

I replaced the factory tooth picks with Moog's on my dad's Hyundai and they're night and day different. And yes, they're greasable.

I was in your position when I just did the front end work on my Camry

I'm being a guinea pig for Meyle HD sway bar links

$32 for the pair, made in Germany, let's see how long it lasts

I had bad luck with MAS units on a Rav4, so keep an eye out for something with wrench flats

Well, I have been using the MOOG SBL's for two vehicles (Mazda3/Chevy Equinox) with good success thus far however, it's only been ~ 1.5 yrs.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Seems like a lot of money to be spending on a car your not going to be keeping that much longer.

The Struts on my 2004 Corolla S held up just fine to 102,000. I figure its set for another 100,000K at least. I replaced the OEM struts with Monroe's.

Did you do the rears at this time, too? I'm at 98.5k to be precise right now, but two opinions have told me the rears are perfectly fine right now, while the front is "soft". Only went with the KYBs over Monroes because I could get them in time for a day next week that I can work from home to have my guy install them. $129 ea on Rock Auto.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Are they already bad at 100K?

One side (driver) has a definitely bad balljoint and clunking sway bar link. It isn't much more labor to replace them in pairs, especially since each wheel is coming off for the front struts.

Based on all the other feedback, it seems like Moog, which is also significantly cheaper, is the way to go. How often do I have to grease them?

I'm hoping everything else in the suspension lasts until 140-160k on the car, NTB tried to sell me an inner tie rod when I had my tires installed, but two opinions on that and my own diagnostic show they're perfectly tight. In fact, it seems like ever doing an inner tie rod on a Toyota is extremely rare nder 200k.

I've got three years on the Moog Problem Solvers on a 2004 Buick Rainier, replaced all four, and so far so good. But I agree with Linctex, anything will probably get you by for 40K. You're gonna be amazed at the improved feel of new ones. Note that Moog has a less costly and probably less long term quality line that I think is called R Line. Be careful.

Originally Posted By: smc733
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Did you do the rears at this time, too? I'm at 98.5k to be precise right now, but two opinions have told me the rears are perfectly fine right now, while the front is "soft". Only went with the KYBs over Monroes because I could get them in time for a day next week that I can work from home to have my guy install them. $129 ea on Rock Auto.

Did both the front and rear and an alignment. I plan on driving this car at least ten more years if my wife can stand it. At 73 she's getting tired of shifting. The car has always had good maintenance and I expect that I could get 300K out of it without a big problem. I'm the original owner of this car so I know everything its been through and its had a good life in a good home!

Last edited:
When you install greasable Moog links, grease 'em fully at the install, watch for the boots to bulge.

There after, I grease them twice a year when I change to /from winter tires, with 1 shot of grease or
just less, watching for grease to weep from vents at the base of the boots.

Typically, you'd watch for water coming out with the grease when they get older. When that happens
I keep pumping grease gently til it comes out clean and up the grease interval to get water out sooner.

I do have one pal who doesn't like Moog greasable links, he's had 2 break, snapping off
where the 'bone' is welded to the joint, I saw the dead ones, I know he's hard on his Chevy Venture van!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back