10w-30 Synthetic Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a good 10w30 synthetic. I would prefer a high mileage for the strong additive package but I can really only find 5w30 full synthetic high mileage or 10w30 high mileage synthetic blend. Any recommendations? I live in a very hot and humid climate so 10w30 would be ideal. Thanks.

Mobil 1 hi mi is a thicker 10w30 full synthetic. Does not meet resource conserving spec but meets API SN $12 rebate off the jug right now
theres also Valvoline full syn with max life
. About to try regular max life 10w30 this next change. Never used Valvoline before.

I ve been using Havoline 10w30 Full Synthetic that I got at Oreillys. Sounds good but I swear my gas mileage took a big hit v.s my regular fill of Pennzoil Platinum or QS Full Synthetic.

If for whatever reason you can't find the M1, perhaps try a HDEO 10w30. They typically are blends too.

Originally Posted By: shurguywutt
Looking for a good 10w30 synthetic. I would prefer a high mileage for the strong additive package but I can really only find 5w30 full synthetic high mileage or 10w30 high mileage synthetic blend. Any recommendations? I live in a very hot and humid climate so 10w30 would be ideal. Thanks.

Reccomendations? Yes ....
Don't get so wrapped up in believing that only one base stock or grade is going to be "ideal".

While I do agree that it's possible to find an "ideal" lube, that definitive answer is FAR, FAR past any effort ANY BITOGer here has ever put forth, or ever will. You see, to do so would take hundreds of thousands of miles of testing, using all manner of control and test groups, etc, etc, etc. Blah blah blah. Yada yada yada.

Just about any lube that is in spec with (or at least very near) the vehicle's OEM stated lube requirements is going to do fine. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT your engine will even know the difference between a 5w-30 conventional, 5w-20 semi, 10w-30 syn, etc. I presume it's going into your Pilot, but actually that really does not matter. I don't know why you think 10w-30 is "ideal" anyway; I have not seen that spec'd for a gasser in a long, long time. Do you have proof that 10w-30 is "ideal", over other grades? Or (as I suspect) is this just a "want" that you've already talked yourself into?

Do as you see fit. No issue there.
Just know that the engine does not care nearly as much as you do.

Last edited:
**This**
Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Mobil 1 10w-30 High mileage. Wally World $22.88. Its a great choice for many applications

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
5W-30 and 10W-30 are the same oil until it gets cold out...

No, they are not.

Let not talk generalities.

Last used Magnetec SS 5w30 and QSUD 10w30 (NON DEXOS thank you)

Both excellent and would work fine in Florida. A car that runs at 200F doesn't much care about 90 deg F ambient other than the loss of power due to hot and humid air.
At least FLA Humidity helps null the hot ambient propensity to ping.

Valvoline 30 grades or newer M1 formulations never worked for me.

The Valvoline 0w20 was excellent in the Subaru.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: Linctex
5W-30 and 10W-30 are the same oil until it gets cold out...

No, they are not.

I think Oro-O meant that purely BY SPEC they rarely differ until it gets well below zero. ILSAC 10w30 prob only have less PPD. That would make them the "same" oil.
Multi-use Fleet Farm and truck 10w30 likely has a more robust base and less VM to demonstrate a shear rate improvement above 3.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back