2000 4Runner - Walker vs Eastern Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

During a trip into the forest a few weeks ago our truck started to loose power, surge while going up inclines, and throw the P0420 code.

After nursing it home and doing some investigating with a temp gun I have concluded the CATS are toast.

I will be ordering to new ones and wanted to know of the two brands, what would you choose?

Both are same price online.

Yes, I know OEM is best. I am not going OEM however.

Thanks for the help!!!

I would also say to go with Walker. But.. Just inspect the welds to make sure they're good and that the bends (if any) are bent correctly. I've seen/heard of walker being a little sloppy lately. I know a muffler I just got didn't have the flange welded correctly, got a 2nd one and no problems.

Walker is the "name brand" but for such an old vehicle I'd go with the cheapest one. But we don't have emissions testing in FL

I went with Eastern on my truck recently. Eastern has a better warranty on Federal catalyst performance.

Thanks everyone!

It is a cali-spec system (all 2000 4Runner where cali-spec)

I was learning towards the Walker as it is listed at a customer "fave" on Rock Auto's website.

Magnaflow has a few different cats for different states (California, New York, etc). They may have something that suits your needs.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
Hello all!

During a trip into the forest a few weeks ago our truck started to loose power, surge while going up inclines, and throw the P0420 code.

After nursing it home and doing some investigating with a temp gun I have concluded the CATS are toast.

I will be ordering to new ones and wanted to know of the two brands, what would you choose?

Both are same price online.

Yes, I know OEM is best. I am not going OEM however.

Thanks for the help!!!

Eastern is a "local" business, located near Sesame Place.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Magnaflow has a few different cats for different states (California, New York, etc). They may have something that suits your needs.

I bought a Magnaflow "direct fit" cat for the passenger side exhaust on my 300ZX (still flowed, but had a nice crumbled hole though the middle). Looked nicely made, but it wouldn't mate with the exhaust manifold because the pipe extended too far out from the flange. At the other end of the cat the flange was only welded half way around resulting in a nice hefty leak. That mess got sent back and I just re-installed the old oem cat back on. Doesn't work, but emissions only sniffs the driver's side (the side with a working cat) and the two exhaust pipes don't ever mix.
whistle.gif

OTOH, I bought a Walker pre-cat for my mom's Altima. Its looks weren't terribly impressive, but it installed easily and works.

Originally Posted By: Kool1

Does that change the sound of your exhaust? I know magnaflow is usually for those who want louder tones.

Walker is on my Explorer over a year. The fit was decent(not OEM fit but it sealed) and no CELs. I do see some corrosion though. They all have a 5 year warranty (by law) so at least it will last that long.

Make sure you know the reason the old one failed. It will take down the new one too, not the fault of the manufacturer either.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy

Make sure you know the reason the old one failed. It will take down the new one too, not the fault of the manufacturer either.

This is one of my issues. I have no idea what caused it. The engine ran like silk before and up to a few weeks ago. It still runs like silk unless your on a steep incline and flooring it. Then it sputters/surges.

The only code that has every popped is the P0420.

So I dont know what caused it.

The truck has 180,000 miles on it now.

I know its not "normal" but I am chucking it to high miles?

Those older Toyota engine control systems aren't great at detecting misfires and setting codes/MILs. What shape is the ignition/fuel system in? I think the truck V6s used waste-spark ignition. How do the plugs/wires/coils look? Toyota injectors tend to hold up well, but there are ways to check injector spray and continuity.

I had Walker cats, they helped my old car pass smog after taking out the OEM cats due to a major misfire but they also caused a drop in performance as the ones listed as CA-legal for my application were smaller than OEM. If I had to do it again, I'll look at Eastern or Magnaflow.

The Eastern cats are made in Langhorne, PA, if that matters. Bot both brands are good quality
smile.gif

When you get a new cat, it's a good idea to buy new oxygen sensors, too. Denso and NTK are the best o2 sensors to get.

I would investigate further. Cats last a long time, often the life of the vehicle and their failure is mostly a symptom of an incorrectly burning engine.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Eastern cats are made in Langhorne, PA, if that matters. Bot both brands are good quality
smile.gif

When you get a new cat, it's a good idea to buy new oxygen sensors, too. Denso and NTK are the best o2 sensors to get.

Yes, their facility is near Sesame Place. People in Philadelphia don't know where Langhorne is, but they have heard of Sesame Place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back