10,000 OCI with stock Toyota cartridge filter??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife drives a 2010 Camry with 145,000 on it. I recently bought some of Mobil 1 0-20w 15,000 mile extended life oil for an upcoming oil change. I can't go 15,000 miles, it would drive me crazy, but 10,000 is doable in my mind, especially since the car sees 95% highway driving. My question is will the Toyota filter last the 10,000 miles, or do I need to change the filter every 5000 miles. Toyota, at least on the 2010 doesn't use oil monitoring system, it just tells you when 5000 is up since the last reset. Thanks

Yes, the Toyota OE filter will be fine for 10,000 miles. That is their recommended oil change interval for most 2010 and later cars when using synthetic 0w-20 oil (really fine with any synthetic).

When i go 10,000 miles between oil changes on our 2016,i change the filter(Fram ultra) every 5k.Take care of you car and it will take care of you!

The Toyota dealer offers lifetime oil changes when you buy a new Toyota. I questioned him on the intervals and he told me 10,000 to 15,000 miles depending on the cars.
I made the statement do they have any issues with the motors at such a long interval. He laughed and said, Don't know we usually sell them another one before that happens. I couldn't do it.
I don't even like Dealerships changing my oil.
The Challenger comes with a 2 year service agreement and I watch them like a hawk through the glass.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
When i go 10,000 miles between oil changes on our 2016,i change the filter(Fram ultra) every 5k.Take care of you car and it will take care of you!

Why change the Ultra at 5K miles? It's rated for 15K (newer Ultras are rated for 20K). Leaving an Ultra on for 10K is still under utilizing it's capability.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Why change the Ultra at 5K miles? It's rated for 15K (newer Ultras are rated for 20K). Leaving an Ultra on for 10K is still under utilizing it's capability.

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilmutt

Why not just run the filter for the 10k run.

Originally Posted By: meulenms
My wife drives a 2010 Camry with 145,000 on it. I recently bought some of Mobil 1 0-20w 15,000 mile extended life oil for an upcoming oil change. I can't go 15,000 miles, it would drive me crazy, but 10,000 is doable in my mind, especially since the car sees 95% highway driving. My question is will the Toyota filter last the 10,000 miles, or do I need to change the filter every 5000 miles. Toyota, at least on the 2010 doesn't use oil monitoring system, it just tells you when 5000 is up since the last reset. Thanks

As long as you stick to the %95 highway,15,000 mile OCIs are easily doable. I've done it followed by a UOA and the oil still had life left in it.

Last edited:
10k on a 'Yoda cartridge filter is very doable as this is the suggested OCI.

No idea how the Fram would hold up. I stay away from ultra cartridges.

My question is will the Toyota filter last the 10,000 miles, or do I need to change the filter every 5000 miles.

I once put 30,000 miles on an oil filter, and it was fine when I disassembled it. Just saying.

What does your owner's manual recommend? (just out of curiosity)

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Agreed, I looked at one, rejected it, and then bought a Mobil One filter cartridge for my V6.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Agreed, I looked at one, rejected it, and then bought a Mobil One filter cartridge for my V6.

Why fear the Ultra cartridge? Here's the latest one I removed two weeks ago from the Prius @ 7500 miles. Media was perfect and the end caps were very secure, took two large pliers to remove them.

Here is mine with 5000 miles, it looks brand new
https://imgur.com/a/jveez
5000 miles
QFv0bXp.png

Last edited:
OK then, thanks everyone. Sounds like I've been changing my oil way to often. My manual recommends 5000 miles, and that is when the OLM is triggered. It's not an intelligent system like other makes. I'll definitely change my habits. I was born and raised in the era of the 3000 miles oil change, and it was gospel. Even with that engines usually didn't go 100,000 miles

'11 Camry here. I would never use a Toyota stock filter for extended 10K OCI.
Go with Fram Ultra, rated 20,000 miles, and you have 10,000 miles to spare.

... My question is will the Toyota filter last the 10,000 miles ...
What possible reason to you have to doubt it will, assuming your engine and air filter are in good condition? The Toyota cartridge I removed at about 17,500 miles looks very much the same as it would've after 10 miles. (Even the Purolator cartridge removed yesterday after 9,500 miles looks ok too, at least tentatively.)

Last edited:
funflyer, nice dissection! Diggin' that screen backing and synth media. Fram Ultras are superior.
meulenms, 10k oil filter changes are no problem no matter what kind of oil filter you decide on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back