Toyota Oil Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1996 Avalon has a Toyota oil filter, size 90915-YZZD1 on it. It has gone about 5000 miles.

I had my local mechanic order a new tail light switch and do some minor maintenance. I had him change the oil and leave the 90915-YZZD1 on it. The new oil is clean as a whistle.

I want to run the filter 5000 to 7500 more miles? Your thoughts? I think I am doing OK as the engine has 250,000 miles on it.

I don't understand why you want to push an OEM filter WAY past it's useful life just to save $5 for the price of a new oil filter?

I think that's a bad idea...but that's just me.

Ed

Another job for Universal Answer Man : Nobody knows, but it probably doesn't matter.

AFAIK the worst that could happen is that the filter disintegrates or holes, but that's probably not very likely. Next worst is it goes into bypass, which isn't too bad.

If you particularly want to do it, Maybe defer and cut it open this time to get some subjective clues for next time?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Another job for Universal Answer Man : Nobody knows, but it probably doesn't matter.

AFAIK the worst that could happen is that the filter disintegrates or holes, but that's probably not very likely. Next worst is it goes into bypass, which isn't too bad.

If you particularly want to do it, Maybe defer and cut it open this time to get some subjective clues for next time?

A great idea looking at some facts before acting on impulse. Maybe even a UOA would supply some good data for the future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I don't understand why you want to push an OEM filter WAY past it's useful life just to save $5 for the price of a new oil filter?

Ed

I’m with Ed. +1

Next time pick up an Ultra XG3614 and run it for 20,000 miles if you want with a lot more peace of mind.

It will hold up well, sleep easy. The element is tough as nails, if it is a spin on, hack it open to see how the adbv does when you are done with it.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

LOL yah but you know some people have to figure out how many times they can use a condom before it fails!

It's NOT the same thing.

"Apples to ink pens" comparison.... not even the least bit related, or comparable.

Oh but it is!

Very familiar with maintaining that engine. Toyota filters like the D1 have about twice as much media as most others, it will be fine. Of all the many filters I used on that engine the Toyota worked best. Some others had start up rattle as the filter angles down and can drain out faster if the adbv leaks.

A great idea looking at some facts before acting on impulse. Maybe even a UOA would supply some good data for the future.

What parameter of a standard UOA would you look at to get good data?

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko

Ed
Apparently filters are expensive and engines are cheap.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

What parameter of a standard UOA would you look at to get good data?

Supposedly the Fe level. You probably followed along in the long "bus study" threads, and saw that there was supposedly a correlation between Fe levels and oil particulate contamination levels. Therefore, in order to see that, people would have to get a UOA and also an "ISO Cleanliness Code" measurement on the oil to see any correlation. 99% of the guys who get UOAs from Blackstone on this site never get the ISO Cleanliness Code test.

If you want to use a filter for more than one OCI, use Fram Ultra or Wix XP (Napa Platinum)
smile.gif

I still wouldn't do it on a 1MZ though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back