cheap spray gun HFT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spraying side door and 2 car garage door soon, thinking inexpensive pray gun, have pancake compressor, but wondering about all in one sprayer from HFT? or similar? Not be perfect but better than brush. Thoughts.? Thanks!

I'd use latex house paint and brush it on, then a roller for consistent texture final finish.
I've done many this way and they look nice.

Not familiar with HFT airless unit, I've painted a house with metal siding and a good airless unit and it looked pretty nice. You do have to thin the paint a fair amount with water to get it spraying right, so runs are a worry.

Car paints with a gravity gun seems like too much trouble for what you want.

Brush and roller would be my choice. You have to do quite a bit of thinning of the material to get it to spray right, out of one of those units. Unless you have a good airless sprayer or a good HVLP sprayer I'd pass on spraying. I'd only spray that project if the finish has to have a sprayed look. Also by the time you get set up, and clean up those units you'll be done with a brush and roller. And you won't be thinning the product much, if any at all.

this is rustoleum oil based, on house and garage door, not auto, front door not good looking as is, prior paint oil based. thanks.

I've used HFT airless on 4 interior doors this spring. It worked well. Used almost one gallon of paint for 4 doors on all sides. I may have lots of over spray due to inexperience with the sprayer and settings. I also used Graco 415 tip. I may use it again on a garage access, metal door. Nothing wrong with roller or brush I just like the finish of spray. I tried to use the $10 HFT HVLP sprayer, it didn't work at all because the paint was too thick. I only use it for spraying lacquer now.

If using Rustoleum, you want to use the Marine version of it. The Marine version has built in UV protection and won't fade like made like regular Rustoleum. I have only been able to obtain this by mail order, but think Tractor Supply carries something similiar. I would also use a hardener.

That pancake air compressor won't be enough either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back